[Q] Firmware upgrade encountered an issue error. Please help

Search This thread

chachachazippo2

May 10, 2014
I tried rooting my S4 using motochopper and it didnt work or so it seemed. Phone booted up then updated to kit kat automatically. I noticed some phishy types of things on my phone so i decided to restore to factory and everything went to hell. I tried to reflash back to factory firmware using Odin 3.09 and I keep getting a fail. It seems ive tried a ton of different firmware downloads from various site with no luck. they are all supposedly factory. Kies doesnt work because i cant get a Serial number only a IMEI. I can get to the download screen to try flashing with odin but it always fails otherwise im stuck on the 'Firmware upgrade has encountered an issue. please select recovery mode in Kies and try again"
The top left corner says

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME; SCH-I545
CURRENT BINARY; Samsung Official
KNOX KERNEL LOCK; 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID; 0x0
CSB-CONFIG-LSB; 0x30
WRITE PROTECTION; Enable
eMMC BURST MODE enabled

Please help ive been doing this for hours with no luck. I tried sammobile firmwares. not all but I did try I545VRUEMK2 which i imagined was appropriate

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
You need to Odin the NC5 firmware if you took the OTA, you can't Odin full versions of older software like MK2.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

chachachazippo2

May 10, 2014
You need to Odin the NC5 firmware if you took the OTA, you can't Odin full versions of older software like MK2.

Ok i see what youre saying.t Well that would be strange if that works because stock i didnt have kit kat and verizon never let me update to it until i started messing around. I'm waiting for the NC5 file to download now.

Last edited:

chachachazippo2

May 10, 2014

OK I got it! Thank you. Now I have kitkat so idk if I'm supposed to but that was my point in trying to root. Well anyways I tried the NC5 File and it didnt work. Then i was doing some more reading on it and realized my usb cord wasnt plugged into a USB port directly from the motherboard. It was plugged into the front USB from my case. I plugged it into the MOBO and it worked. Thanks alot!

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
I never got an email like I usually do when someone quotes me so sorry I couldn't respond sooner. Anyway glad to hear you got it all figured out!