Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] DooMKernel performance

OP tknguyencsu

10th May 2014, 09:24 AM   |  #11  
Flag Sao Paulo, Brazil
Thanks Meter: 314

274 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by diji1

Also DoomKernel uses Ondemand governor by default - anyone know what stock uses? But in any case my theory about governor is out the window.

Last time I checked, stock kernel was by default using the interactive governor, but AFAIK it's the same as ondemand, except that it jumps to higher frequencies more agressively when the user is interacting with the phone (mostly by a kind of touch / input boost). In latest versions of the ondemand governor, I've also seen an "input_boost" option, so I think the difference is even less clear now.

For a proper benchmark which will be more consistent and easily reproducible across your firmwares and kernels, set everything to performance (i.e. CPU and GPU governors), and disable any battery saving and thermal throttle options in the kernel (beware your phone will get HOT during the testing, avoid repeating it too many times in a row or in a hot weather, or don't do it at all if you don't want to take the risk!). That's how some people get some very high numbers, if not by OC'ing the CPU.

And smoothness and lags are almost all about the governor choice and its fine tuning. For instance, I can't get a totally smooth scroll in some apps with ondemand or intellidemand, even after tweaking the settings; however, with smartassv2 and lagfree, everything is very smooth and battery is also good.
10th May 2014, 10:19 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 245

760 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbolivar

Last time I checked, stock kernel was by default using the interactive governor, but AFAIK it's the same as ondemand, except that it jumps to higher frequencies more agressively when the user is interacting with the phone (mostly by a kind of touch / input boost). In latest versions of the ondemand governor, I've also seen an "input_boost" option, so I think the difference is even less clear now.

For a proper benchmark which will be more consistent and easily reproducible across your firmwares and kernels, set everything to performance (i.e. CPU and GPU governors), and disable any battery saving and thermal throttle options in the kernel (beware your phone will get HOT during the testing, avoid repeating it too many times in a row or in a hot weather, or don't do it at all if you don't want to take the risk!). That's how some people get some very high numbers, if not by OC'ing the CPU.

And smoothness and lags are almost all about the governor choice and its fine tuning. For instance, I can't get a totally smooth scroll in some apps with ondemand or intellidemand, even after tweaking the settings; however, with smartassv2 and lagfree, everything is very smooth and battery is also good.

Stock kernel uses Ondemand governor by default. It can be changed to interactive/powersave/conservative i think if i remember properly

Sent from my C6802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
10th May 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #13  
Flag Adelaide, SA
Thanks Meter: 4

62 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbolivar

Ah cheers for that info and I'll start doing that on the benchmarks I do. (CPU benchmarks in particular are all over the place presumably due to governors)

That's interesting because it's been a while since I looked at the descriptions of what governors do but I seem to recall ondemand (to put it very simply) ramps up speed very quickly and basically gives high priority to performance over others.
10th May 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 245

760 posts
Interactive is faster than ondemand at the expense of battery life as it ramps up the cpu frequency faster

Sent from my C6802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread