Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

USB Cable

OP GAPY427

8th May 2014, 08:47 PM   |  #1  
GAPY427's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 12
 
285 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
More
Where to buy an extra USB/Sync cable, and one that's longer that what came in the box?
8th May 2014, 09:13 PM   |  #2  
redpoint73's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,373
 
7,763 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Just about any MicroUSB cable will work. Available at a lot of places. Folks on XDA seem to like Monoprice.com. They have all manners of cables for very cheap (but still good quality), and a large selection of lengths.
9th May 2014, 07:08 AM   |  #3  
indymx's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 114
 
404 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Just about any MicroUSB cable will work. Available at a lot of places. Folks on XDA seem to like Monoprice.com. They have all manners of cables for very cheap (but still good quality), and a large selection of lengths.

Your mileage may vary though. I've found that cheaper USB cables don't charge my M8 like the cable that came with it.

Not sure why, but they just dont.
The Following User Says Thank You to indymx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th May 2014, 03:52 PM   |  #4  
redpoint73's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,373
 
7,763 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by indymx

Your mileage may vary though. I've found that cheaper USB cables don't charge my M8 like the cable that came with it.

Not sure why, but they just dont.


Hmm, interesting. I haven't actually tried to charge with a 3rd party cable yet, only used it to connect to PC for unlocking the bootloader and S-off (which worked fine). From past experience on other devices, its usually data that is the issue. Meaning charging will be fine, but data sync will not work (although it seems fairly uncommon, and the vast majority of 3rd party cables will work for both data and charging).

So it takes longer to charge using a 3rd party cable, but the OEM charger "block" or wall-wart?
10th May 2014, 12:09 PM   |  #5  
indymx's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 114
 
404 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Hmm, interesting. I haven't actually tried to charge with a 3rd party cable yet, only used it to connect to PC for unlocking the bootloader and S-off (which worked fine). From past experience on other devices, its usually data that is the issue. Meaning charging will be fine, but data sync will not work (although it seems fairly uncommon, and the vast majority of 3rd party cables will work for both data and charging).

So it takes longer to charge using a 3rd party cable, but the OEM charger "block" or wall-wart?

I can't be 100% sure why it happened, but 2 cables from the same manufacturer did the same thing.

The odd thing was, they looked like they were charging. All indications were that they were connected and electrons flowed, but the battery level dropped while connected.
10th May 2014, 05:57 PM   |  #6  
redpoint73's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,373
 
7,763 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by indymx

I can't be 100% sure why it happened, but 2 cables from the same manufacturer did the same thing.

The odd thing was, they looked like they were charging. All indications were that they were connected and electrons flowed, but the battery level dropped while connected.

That is odd. I just tried what I had around, and a Samsung cable, and 3rd party one (branded Boxwave, but probably a pretty generic retractable type) both seem to work just fine for charging when connected to the HTC charger "block".

YMMV, indeed. To answer the OP, there isn't a good way of knowing whether a 3rd party cable will work or not without trying it. A genuine HTC cable is the sure bet, but since the OP wants something longer, he will have to look elsewhere. And 3rd party cables are much cheaper, of course.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes