Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,386 Members 52,079 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

USB Cable

Tip us?

GAPY427
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default USB Cable

Where to buy an extra USB/Sync cable, and one that's longer that what came in the box?
Current phone: AT&T HTC One M8 32 GB; Glacial Silver
ROM: SkyDragon v. 5.0 International
Kernel: 3.4.0-gOc47a10root@abm022 #1 SMP PREEMPT

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2919
Just about any MicroUSB cable will work. Available at a lot of places. Folks on XDA seem to like Monoprice.com. They have all manners of cables for very cheap (but still good quality), and a large selection of lengths.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

indymx
Old
Thanks Meter 114

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
Just about any MicroUSB cable will work. Available at a lot of places. Folks on XDA seem to like Monoprice.com. They have all manners of cables for very cheap (but still good quality), and a large selection of lengths.
Your mileage may vary though. I've found that cheaper USB cables don't charge my M8 like the cable that came with it.

Not sure why, but they just dont.
The Following User Says Thank You to indymx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by indymx View Post
Your mileage may vary though. I've found that cheaper USB cables don't charge my M8 like the cable that came with it.

Not sure why, but they just dont.

Hmm, interesting. I haven't actually tried to charge with a 3rd party cable yet, only used it to connect to PC for unlocking the bootloader and S-off (which worked fine). From past experience on other devices, its usually data that is the issue. Meaning charging will be fine, but data sync will not work (although it seems fairly uncommon, and the vast majority of 3rd party cables will work for both data and charging).

So it takes longer to charge using a 3rd party cable, but the OEM charger "block" or wall-wart?

indymx
Old
Thanks Meter 114

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
Hmm, interesting. I haven't actually tried to charge with a 3rd party cable yet, only used it to connect to PC for unlocking the bootloader and S-off (which worked fine). From past experience on other devices, its usually data that is the issue. Meaning charging will be fine, but data sync will not work (although it seems fairly uncommon, and the vast majority of 3rd party cables will work for both data and charging).

So it takes longer to charge using a 3rd party cable, but the OEM charger "block" or wall-wart?
I can't be 100% sure why it happened, but 2 cables from the same manufacturer did the same thing.

The odd thing was, they looked like they were charging. All indications were that they were connected and electrons flowed, but the battery level dropped while connected.

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by indymx View Post
I can't be 100% sure why it happened, but 2 cables from the same manufacturer did the same thing.

The odd thing was, they looked like they were charging. All indications were that they were connected and electrons flowed, but the battery level dropped while connected.
That is odd. I just tried what I had around, and a Samsung cable, and 3rd party one (branded Boxwave, but probably a pretty generic retractable type) both seem to work just fine for charging when connected to the HTC charger "block".

YMMV, indeed. To answer the OP, there isn't a good way of knowing whether a 3rd party cable will work or not without trying it. A genuine HTC cable is the sure bet, but since the OP wants something longer, he will have to look elsewhere. And 3rd party cables are much cheaper, of course.