New s5. Coming from gs3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

aholeinthewor1d

Aug 19, 2010
Debating so much about getting this phone and finally gave it about 2 hours ago. Is anyone else not that impressed? Don't get me wrong its a nice phone and the camera is supposed to be great..but I gave up unlimted to get this and my s3 with a custom KitKat ROM is way faster just navigating around..I dropped it and cracked the screen the other day but I might go back to it. Just don't see this as much of an upgrade..if the one m8 had this screen I would have gone with that. Even the s3 feels more durable than this..

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

raziel36

Jan 22, 2009
Not an improvement over the S3? I came from an S4 with MDK unlocked bootloader and haven't looked back, even without root. I do miss the hell out of root, don't get me wrong, but this phone is definitely an improvement. My stepson has my S4, so I could go back any time I want, but I'm not even entertaining that option. Not to mention the battery life on this thing... couldn't kill it with 17 hours off of charge and over 6 hours of screen on time (mostly gaming, too... my day off, don't judge lol.) My S4 with a custom ROM, and tweaked for battery life, couldn't even dream of that. To each their own, but I'm not quite sure how this wouldn't be a noticeable upgrade. Perhaps I should borrow your S3 to find out?

hibby50

Jan 26, 2008
forum.ppcgeeks.com
Not an improvement over the S3? I came from an S4 with MDK unlocked bootloader and haven't looked back, even without root. I do miss the hell out of root, don't get me wrong, but this phone is definitely an improvement. My stepson has my S4, so I could go back any time I want, but I'm not even entertaining that option. Not to mention the battery life on this thing... couldn't kill it with 17 hours off of charge and over 6 hours of screen on time (mostly gaming, too... my day off, don't judge lol.) My S4 with a custom ROM, and tweaked for battery life, couldn't even dream of that. To each their own, but I'm not quite sure how this wouldn't be a noticeable upgrade. Perhaps I should borrow your S3 to find out?

Agreed, even though I am dying for root, this things runs circles around my s iii running cm11 kitkat

aholeinthewor1d

Aug 19, 2010
Idk. I haven't had a chance to test the battery yet. It was at like 55% when I got exactly 2 hours ago..screen has been on an hour of the 2 and I'm at 36%.

Honestly I can't help but feel my s3 with the right ROM (currently on MOAR right now) is faster just with general use..I'm not saying this phone isn't amazing just doesn't seem like the one to give up uimited data for. I can't even open the charger port cover lol.. I started with the original droid x and went through the long months of people trying to root and unlock the boot loader..then to the s3 with it unlocked..it seems with both of those phones there was more of a presence in the forums..I wonder if this will ever get rooted..I alrady know unless it gets leaked like it did for the the s3 the bootloader is out of the question

urcboss07

Aug 4, 2007
I got rid off my galaxy s4 with mdk build, I enjoyed most of available roms out there. I upgraded to s5 and I think it is very good phone, better camera, faster processor, and many more. However, if I were you, I wouldn't give up unlimited data, I'd just buy used s5 from Craigslist and keep unlimited data.

WillTheGreat

Jun 14, 2010
IMO, Your reasons for not liking is has more to do with what you gave up to obtain it and you're expecting it to be as good as what you gave up. I went from S3 to S5, and I think the S5 is great outside of the lack of root issues (like bloatedness, etc)

f308gt4

May 14, 2011
I went from the S3 (stock, unrooted) to the S5 also.

I do see some improvements, like the screen, for example, which is noticeably better. It's also a bit bigger, which is nice, as I'm getting old and can't see as well as I used to ;)

I had the 3000mah extended battery on the S3, and it seems to me that the S5 has about the same battery life as the S3 with the extended battery.

Not sure I see much of a speed difference. The S5 is maybe a tad faster, but in day to day use, I don't really notice all that much of a difference.

In general, I do think the S5 is a better phone. But, I do agree that the S5 is not a revolutionary change. In fact, in a lot of ways, it seems just like my S3. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as the S3 was a great phone.

I made the move to the S5 mostly because I wanted the fingerprint sensor. It works pretty well, though I would argue not as well or as refined as the sensor in my daughters Iphone 5S. But it does the job, and overall I am happy with it.

I did buy an aftermarket Qi wireless charger, which is a neat trick also, but I believe they were available for the S3 also.

In summary, I'm happy with my purchase. Not revolutionary, but a decent evolution of the S3.

Status
Not open for further replies.