Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,628 Members 38,309 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ART vs Dalvik Run Time benefits.

Tip us?

rahtrip
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Default ART vs Dalvik Run Time benefits.

Anyone notice any difference between ART vs Dalvik Run Time options? I've been hearing that switching to ART has very little but beneficial battery and performance boosts. What are the rest of your experiences?

rquinn19
Old
Thanks Meter 220
AFAIK you can't do ART and xposed...which means I won't be using ART until that changes

From what I've heard there is a good performance increase, but some apps aren't compatible.

Wonders_Never_Cease
Old
Thanks Meter 512

DONATE TO ME
Mixed reviews....only way to know is see/try for self....

acPIZZA
Old
Thanks Meter 52
I switched to art the other day (GPE conversion here). So far performance is still very good, battery still very good, maybe a little better. There is a pretty comprehensive list somewhere that says what apps are compatible or not. I went through and made sure my core apps were compatible and then flipped the switch. So far I haven't run into any compatibility issues. From what I understand is that Google will be using art in the next Android version so it would behoove developers to start making their apps compatible with art.

Edit:battery is noticeably better, although not by that much.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
HTC Inspire - Inspired Saga RC5

HolyAngel
Old
Thanks Meter 2,014

DONATE TO ME
I've found ART actually runs the whole phone slower than an optimized dalvik build. Only the opening of apps is faster. Plus you lose xposed, and other support, like theming since everything has to be odexed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

shaqqq
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by acPIZZA View Post
I switched to art the other day (GPE conversion here). So far performance is still very good, battery still very good, maybe a little better. There is a pretty comprehensive list somewhere that says what apps are compatible or not. I went through and made sure my core apps were compatible and then flipped the switch. So far I haven't run into any compatibility issues. From what I understand is that Google will be using art in the next Android version so it would behoove developers to start making their apps compatible with art.

Edit:battery is noticeably better, although not by that much.

Do you have the link to those list of apps?

zacharyt86
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaqqq View Post
Do you have the link to those list of apps?

http://www.androidruntime.com/list