FORUMS

ZenFone 2 Lolliflash and ZenPower Giveaway!

We recently did an in-depth review of the Asus Zenfone 2 but one of the things people may … more

OnePlus 2 Forums: Discuss Everything About The OP2!

Now that the OnePlus 2 has been officially unveiled and that we have had close-up … more

Intel & Micron Announce “Revolutionary” Storage Tech

Intel & Micron have announced 3D Xpoint technology—”the … more

Google Now Interfaces With Third-Party Messaging Apps

Google has announced that Ok Google voice commands can now be used to send … more

ART vs Dalvik Run Time benefits.

115 posts
Thanks Meter: 34

By rahtrip, Senior Member on 14th April 2014, 07:05 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Anyone notice any difference between ART vs Dalvik Run Time options? I've been hearing that switching to ART has very little but beneficial battery and performance boosts. What are the rest of your experiences?

14th April 2014, 07:22 AM |#2  
Flag Phila
Thanks Meter: 252

More
AFAIK you can't do ART and xposed...which means I won't be using ART until that changes

From what I've heard there is a good performance increase, but some apps aren't compatible.
14th April 2014, 07:32 AM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,003

Donate to Me
More
Mixed reviews....only way to know is see/try for self....
14th April 2014, 01:04 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
I switched to art the other day (GPE conversion here). So far performance is still very good, battery still very good, maybe a little better. There is a pretty comprehensive list somewhere that says what apps are compatible or not. I went through and made sure my core apps were compatible and then flipped the switch. So far I haven't run into any compatibility issues. From what I understand is that Google will be using art in the next Android version so it would behoove developers to start making their apps compatible with art.

Edit:battery is noticeably better, although not by that much.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
14th April 2014, 09:11 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 7,916

Donate to Me
More
I've found ART actually runs the whole phone slower than an optimized dalvik build. Only the opening of apps is faster. Plus you lose xposed, and other support, like theming since everything has to be odexed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
10th May 2014, 11:07 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by acPIZZA

I switched to art the other day (GPE conversion here). So far performance is still very good, battery still very good, maybe a little better. There is a pretty comprehensive list somewhere that says what apps are compatible or not. I went through and made sure my core apps were compatible and then flipped the switch. So far I haven't run into any compatibility issues. From what I understand is that Google will be using art in the next Android version so it would behoove developers to start making their apps compatible with art.

Edit:battery is noticeably better, although not by that much.

Do you have the link to those list of apps?

10th May 2014, 06:27 PM |#7  
Flag Decatur, IL
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaqqq

Do you have the link to those list of apps?

http://www.androidruntime.com/list
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread