Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,281 Members 51,687 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Knox S/MIME Email Encryption

Tip us?

itsafunkything
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Prompt [Q] Samsung Knox S/MIME Email Encryption

I am quite intrigued with what Samsung is trying to do with the Knox container feature and I can see it as a useful way of segregating sensitive personal and financial information. While I was at it I decided to setup my personal email account within the Knox container with added S/MIME certificates for email encryption.

However, I can't seem to find any support for importing certificates into the stock email application within the Knox container on the Galaxy Note 2. There is support for PGP email but I prefer S/MIME as it is more widely adopted. Again PGP support is through a library that is not commonplace and emails sent with PGP encryption did not render on Thunderbird with Enigmail.

Anyway I am wondering whether S/MIME email is not supported in Samsung Knox despite the user guide and white paper saying it does. Am I missing something? Has anyone has had success setting up S/MIME email encryption in Knox email application? I was just warming up to the idea of Knox and don't want this to disappoint me.

My phone has the personal edition of Knox (Android 4.3) as it is not remotely managed via a Knox server. The email account is setup through POP and SMTP.

TwistedResistor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,

S/MIME is not supported by the stock mail client except for Exchange servers. I've struggled with the import of my .p12 certificate and it took me a while to find the reason.
I haven't tried it yet S/MIME because I lack an Exchange server, but PGP works fine with either POP or IMAP in fact it shouldn't matter which protocol you use.

Also this has nothing to do with Knox, but the email client itself. I am not using Knox and the issue is the same.

HTH