Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Advice on setup for elderly parents and usa based data plan!!

OP lindadhnorman

10th May 2014, 03:44 AM   |  #1  
lindadhnorman's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
(double posted this to try and get help as quick as possible since the phone needs to ship out ASAP)

Hi everyone. I'm an American living in Sweden. I have a unlocked galaxy note 3 that I am going to send my TECHNOPHOBIA suffering mother so she van video chat and see my newborn son for the first time live instead of in snail mailed pictures. She has agreed to try her best to learn because after 4 years of us not seeing each other she is willing to the anything

so here is the advice I need.

Best way to *safety proof* (don't want to call my mom a idiot) the phone.

A way for me to remotely restore the phone to MY settings when she accidentally messes something up and calls me freaking out.

Advice on a service plan. I have good credit in the usa and a social security number. she lives in 70647 Iowa, Louisiana. w
We would like to be able to video chat on skype on demand. But she will not be streaming video or downloading anything but content from dropbox. I would love if there was the option for her to be able to send an sms/mms to my mobile in sweden.

I would like yo put the phone in some *easy* setup. similar to the one included in 4.4.2 BUT my mother will only be using the phone for a few things. Skype facebook and dropbox. Also receiving sms/mms from me only. I would like her to have the ability to call our foreign cellphone numbers though in case of an emergency.

The phone is already rooted and updated to samsung version of 4.4.2. I would happily use another ROM if someone can recommend one that would best suit my needs.

I have a windows desktop running win 7 and an extra note 3 that I will be keeping here to use as well.


Help a lady out please! I desperately want to see my momma.
Last edited by lindadhnorman; 10th May 2014 at 04:30 AM.
10th May 2014, 03:09 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 325
 
1,132 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindadhnorman

(double posted this to try and get help as quick as possible since the phone needs to ship out ASAP)

Hi everyone. I'm an American living in Sweden. I have a unlocked galaxy note 3 that I am going to send my TECHNOPHOBIA suffering mother so she van video chat and see my newborn son for the first time live instead of in snail mailed pictures.
...

N9005 will not work over LTE with most carriers in US, so you should investigate this one first.

Also as a friendlier solution for parents - if they have/buy any large TV set (recent model) they might be able to get one with Skype (usually the Skype camera is a separate item with an inflated price but I believe lately there have been some aggressive price-cuts in some places).
10th May 2014, 04:07 PM   |  #3  
lindadhnorman's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclub_101

N9005 will not work over LTE with most carriers in US, so you should investigate this one first.

Also as a friendlier solution for parents - if they have/buy any large TV set (recent model) they might be able to get one with Skype (usually the Skype camera is a separate item with an inflated price but I believe lately there have been some aggressive price-cuts in some places).

Really,is that a generalized statement or have you read/seen/heard about it somewhere? I've been checking with IMEI on their websites and verify with customer support that it is available to use on some wireless networks at 4G. Also I've had many friends bring over their N-9005 when visiting the USA for holiday and had no problem with connecting to a network. Some used prepaid local purchased cards, other just used the international roaming on their swedish accounts.
Last edited by lindadhnorman; 10th May 2014 at 04:17 PM.
10th May 2014, 06:23 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 325
 
1,132 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindadhnorman

Really,is that a generalized statement or have you read/seen/heard about it somewhere? I've been checking with IMEI on their websites and verify with customer support that it is available to use on some wireless networks at 4G. Also I've had many friends bring over their N-9005 when visiting the USA for holiday and had no problem with connecting to a network. Some used prepaid local purchased cards, other just used the international roaming on their swedish accounts.

You need to check the frequencies for 4G/LTE - those supported on N9005 are different than most of the US providers. However 3G should work on most.
10th May 2014, 10:58 PM   |  #5  
CZ Eddie's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 1,035
 
3,666 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Donate to Me
I've been using Big Button Launcher on my Mom's Android phone for a couple years now. It works pretty well and she adapted quickly enough.

It is a "Launcher GUI" that takes over the majority of the Android User Interface.
And you can hide the menu options, hide apps, etc. It's very customizable for YOU to make the end resulting interface VERY SIMPLE and dumbed-down for the end user. And it's been 100% stable over two years and a few different flashes of CyanogenMOD as the OS.

I have to warn you though. My Mom does want a normal phone for her next phone. Something with hard buttons, no texting, no GPS, no nothing but phone call capability. No LCD, nada. lol

Here's a sample desktop you see when you unlock the phone.
Oh, and there are various icon packs on the Play Store so you can choose nicer looking icons for your Mom.
There is also a HUGE keyboard option (if you want it). Still not sure if I like it though, because it really, really is huge. Takes up 2/3 of the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bigbuttonlauncher.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	2736628  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes