XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] CyanogenMod Did Not Work on Galaxy S4 Verizon

Tip us?

RECKLESS PAIN
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
That's correct. The phone has an application that scans for modified system files and will detect that you're rooted. Then, when you boot, it'll show an image of an open padlock and the word "Custom" for a few seconds before continuing the boot.

Some people freak out over that. However, you don't have much choice here. If you want it rooted, then you're changing files on the ROM. That's customizing it, and will be detected. If you don't want it to show up as "Custom", then you want a factory stock device.

No. First, it's fairly likely that taking the Kit Kat 4.4 update will fail if you've modified your phone. You'll need to return it to very close to stock for 4.4 to apply cleanly.

Second, if you go to Kit Kat, your phone will be unrooted, Safestrap recovery will be removed, and you'll be stuck with a kernel that currently is not rootable. If you have a Verizon or AT&T phone (or any other with a locked bootloader), you won't be able to root it at the moment, so won't be able to do anything else.

Once VZ releases 4.4, we'll work on ways to get past factory stock, but that's not guaranteed to be successful until we see what VZ gives us.

Edit: And no, once you've updated to Kit Kat, you can't downgrade to 4.3. You'll need to use ROMs compatible with the 4.4 kernel.
So right now since I got the Verizon Galaxy S4 (Mk2) there is no root for it? and would my safest thing to do is not even root it/ put custom ROM right? I just got it and it doesn't have insurance but I don't wanna mess up a great phone like this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,551

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RECKLESS PAIN View Post
So right now since I got the Verizon Galaxy S4 (Mk2) there is no root for it? and would my safest thing to do is not even root it/ put custom ROM right? I just got it and it doesn't have insurance but I don't wanna mess up a great phone like this.

MK2 can be rooted - click here.
Once rooted, you can install custom ROMs using Safestrap.

You really should, however, start here as that sticky thread will explain a lot of what you're asking.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

joshuabg
Old
Thanks Meter 391

DONATE TO ME
Use eclipse 3.0 touchwiz. Almost AOSP
If you find this post helful, Click the "Thanks" button, Or if you really like what I have done you can click the "Donate to Me" button.

My works

Chadwick108
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Search upgrade/downgrade safestrap and read and read again. I currently on NC2 and I am debating on trying downgrade but it seems very involved for the couple of AOSP rom that can be patched and used with safestrap and mk2. Still not sure whether I am willing to lose the WI - FI.

Currently using RLS17.1 and Latest Safestrap version 3.72 on NC2 Bootloader in STOCK
Razr maxx also supporting hashcode running Safestraped and CM11 using as IP cam