[Q] Daylight brightness?

OP CZ Eddie

10th May 2014, 09:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 1,006

3,590 posts
Donate to Me
Has anyone come across a review that shows how readable the screen is in direct sunlight vs. something like OLED on the S5 & Note 3?
S4 was horrible. Note 3 is barely tolerable.
If the OnePlus is drastically better than the Note 3 in direct sunlight, then that may be what pushes me over the edge.
And I mean TEXAS sunlight, not some wimpy sunlight from other states.
Last edited by CZ Eddie; 10th May 2014 at 09:41 PM.
11th May 2014, 12:14 AM   |  #2  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 6

21 posts
More
Could you give examples of what screens are tolerable then maybe someone could compare? (with Texas sunlight)
11th May 2014, 12:17 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 1,006

3,590 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchilin

Could you give examples of what screens are tolerable then maybe someone could compare? (with Texas sunlight)

I have yet to find one that meets what I think should be acceptable. But all the superphones are getting brighter & brighter each year. I'm hoping the OnePlus may at least be as bright as the new S5 which is supposedly the best daylight Android phone out right now.
It's obvious that not everyone cares about this aspect of phones. But I think it's one area that is waaay behind where it should be.

Someday people will have phones that are incredibly easy to see/read under direct sunlight and they'll think,,, "how did I ever live with that old phone of mine".
Just like how I feel now about the old 4" phones that I once thought were "too big".

Btw, one trick is to use lighter colored themes.
I generally love running dark colored CyanogenMOD themes and they do make it much harder to read in daylight. A lighter colored theme helps a lot.
Some AOSP ROM's have the "dark theme" built in and allow auto-switching between normal and dark themes depending on light conditions. Which is fantastic! But the "normal" theme itself is actually kind of dark also.
Last edited by CZ Eddie; 11th May 2014 at 12:19 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread