Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,427 Members 40,151 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chromecast USB OTG Y

Tip us?

lmfgpeace
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Chromecast USB OTG Y

Dear XDA Members,
I've a question is it possible to connect the Chromecast with an USB Hard Drive via micro USB OTG Y cabel?

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 846

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmfgpeace View Post
Dear XDA Members,
I've a question is it possible to connect the Chromecast with an USB Hard Drive via micro USB OTG Y cabel?
Currently Chromecast can only use USB OTG for firmware flashing. OTG isn't available in the normal booted state.

So if you're asking whether you can connect a USB hard drive on a USB OTG cable connected to Chromecast for playing/accessing stuff on it, No.

If you're trying to use a USB hard drive for FlashCast ROM/mod flashing, I'm not sure if that will work.

In either case, you need a powered OTG cable, as Chromecast does not provide power on the USB - it expects to receive it there.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

lmfgpeace
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Currently Chromecast can only use USB OTG for firmware flashing. OTG isn't available in the normal booted state.

So if you're asking whether you can connect a USB hard drive on a USB OTG cable connected to Chromecast for playing/accessing stuff on it, No.

If you're trying to use a USB hard drive for FlashCast ROM/mod flashing, I'm not sure if that will work.

In either case, you need a powered OTG cable, as Chromecast does not provide power on the USB - it expects to receive it there.
Ok but did you mean that its impossible to connect an Hard drive to stream an Video from it with flashing the device or without ok without it wont work i know but with an Custom Rom or root ??

m11kkaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,392

DONATE TO ME
You may be able to enable it with a custom kernel.
But even then you'd need a way for playback. you could start a dlna server but in this case doing that with another device would be the same result.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/m11kkaa

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 846

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmfgpeace View Post
Ok but did you mean that its impossible to connect an Hard drive to stream an Video from it with flashing the device or without ok without it wont work i know but with an Custom Rom or root ??
As @m11kkaa said, it might be possible with a custom kernel, but no custom kernel exists AFAIK, and Chromecast is not like a typical Android device which is easy to modify or do custom development for.

Also, even if you got support, you would need a Chromecast-side app that can access the content, and an Android-side app to browse/control it, which seems like a lot of work when you can already achieve the same functionality via DLNA or storage connected to the casting device, rather than storage connected to Chromecast itself.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'