Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

I337 running KangKat help with Sim Unlock Code

OP julow123

11th May 2014, 06:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
I have a unique situation. I have a I337 with KangKat installed and TWRP recovery installed. I just received an unlock code for my device, but it does not accept the code. I have been told that since the phone is rooted and running a custom rom that the code does not work. My question is can I download a stock rom. Install it using TWRP. type in my unlock code. get the device unlock. Can I then install KangKat again? Or will installing the stock rom messup my bootloader and I will forever not be-able to load a custom rom again?

I would greatly appreciate the communities expert advice. I do not want to lose my ability to install a custom rom but I need to have my device unlocked for international travel. Thank you.
11th May 2014, 06:59 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 199
 
482 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by julow123

I have a unique situation. I have a I337 with KangKat installed and TWRP recovery installed. I just received an unlock code for my device, but it does not accept the code. I have been told that since the phone is rooted and running a custom rom that the code does not work. My question is can I download a stock rom. Install it using TWRP. type in my unlock code. get the device unlock. Can I then install KangKat again? Or will installing the stock rom messup my bootloader and I will forever not be-able to load a custom rom again?

I would greatly appreciate the communities expert advice. I do not want to lose my ability to install a custom rom but I need to have my device unlocked for international travel. Thank you.

Since you have TWRP installed, you are either on the MDB or MDL bootloader. Flash the stock firmware matching the version, using Odin. Sim unlock and then you can reinstall TWRP and your custom rom.

Run the follow commands in a terminal emulator (app) session or adb shell
su
getprop ro.bootloader
11th May 2014, 07:18 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjoyas

Since you have TWRP installed, you are either on the MDB or MDL bootloader. Flash the stock firmware matching the version, using Odin. Sim unlock and then you can reinstall TWRP and your custom rom.

Run the follow commands in a terminal emulator (app) session or adb shell
su
getprop ro.bootloader

I fear using Odin. Horrible stories from the time I flash a Tab 1. Is this the only way?

Does anyone know if I recover to a stock rooted 4.4.2 rom will my unlock code work? or will it not work because its rooted?
11th May 2014, 07:19 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 199
 
482 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Do not go to 4.4.2 as it has a locked boatloader and no direct root method.

I use odin on a daily basis and I haven't seen any issues. I haven't heard of anyone reporting any issues due to odin on this phone in this forum.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Last edited by jmjoyas; 11th May 2014 at 07:23 AM.
11th May 2014, 08:08 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjoyas

Do not go to 4.4.2 as it has a locked boatloader and no direct root method.

I use odin on a daily basis and I haven't seen any issues. I haven't heard of anyone reporting any issues due to odin on this phone in this forum.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ok i just downloaded the stock rom I337UCUAMDB_I337ATTAMDB_ATT. Does anyone have a link to the MDL rom?

I've been told to start with the oldest rom and work my way up till it doesn't fail the odin flash. What is the order of roms I should try?
11th May 2014, 08:55 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 199
 
482 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by julow123

Ok i just downloaded the stock rom I337UCUAMDB_I337ATTAMDB_ATT. Does anyone have a link to the MDL rom?

I've been told to start with the oldest rom and work my way up till it doesn't fail the odin flash. What is the order of roms I should try?

Sammobile has a link to MDL.

The newer bootloaders prevent a downgrade of bootloader. That is the reason you have been asked to try from older to latest one that works. You need to do that only if you dont know the current bootlaoder version. I already gave you the method to find the current version on your phone.

MDB->MDL->MF3->MK2->NB1

From MF3 onwards, custom recoveries like TWRP/CWM will not work. The only working recovery is safestrap. You will also lose the ability to flash AOSP ROMS.

Wishing that it works with MDL stock itself.

All about MK2 and NB1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bootloader.png
Views:	12
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	2737368  
Last edited by jmjoyas; 11th May 2014 at 09:17 AM.
11th May 2014, 09:36 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Got my unlock code working!!!
First off. I want to thank the XDA community with their knowledge. The quick responses to my post is much appreciated.

I was able to get my unlock code working without having to use Odin. Thanks to an internet buddy who put me on the right track. Since I have TWRP installed I was able to install a stock 4.4.2 Root AT&T rom. I then put my unlock code in. And BAM Worked!!! I then restored from my original backup and now i'm back to running KangKat.

Thanks all again!!!
11th May 2014, 09:55 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 199
 
482 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by julow123

First off. I want to thank the XDA community with their knowledge. The quick responses to my post is much appreciated.

I was able to get my unlock code working without having to use Odin. Thanks to an internet buddy who put me on the right track. Since I have TWRP installed I was able to install a stock 4.4.2 Root AT&T rom. I then put my unlock code in. And BAM Worked!!! I then restored from my original backup and now i'm back to running KangKat.

Thanks all again!!!

And thanks for reminding me that with a custom recovery you can flash almost any rom. I had lost this ability long back when I moved to S4 and got a phone with MF3 on which custom recovery doesnt work. We can do only restricted stuff with the safestrap recovery.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes