Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 40,644 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can I dual boot, with seperate Data partitions?

Tip us?

StuMcBill
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 91
Default Can I dual boot, with seperate Data partitions?

I was wondering if there was anyway I could dual boot my Nexus 7 and have both installs totally independent of each other?

I want to keep my device rooted, but I want to use Sky Go as well, and Sky Go doesn't play nice with root.

I would like to have one partition rooted with a custom rom, and another partition that is completely stock, stock ROM, kernel etc.

And I would also like to have the apps installed totally independent of each other so that my stock partition can't see any superuser stuff that I have installed in my custom partition.

I hope this makes sense? Is this possible?

Cheers
Stewart
HTC One M8 : ARHD 8.1
Asus Nexus 7 (2013) - 32Gb : ParanoidAndroid & Stock 4.4.2 using MultiRom

TheManii
Old
Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1506

DONATE TO ME
Hypothetically you might be able to do like CM already does on the touchpad, they have virtual partitions to store all the android stuff since they dont want to remove/modify the underlying webos partitions.

At the very minimum you would need a rom that is modified to take advantage of running from a different location.

You would also need some way to select which one to boot at start.

Some dual boot solutions cheat by using recovery to boot the other rom, since there's no major differences beyond the fact it doesnt boot by default
XDA Wiki Moderator
Nexus 4: Stock 4.4.4 (KTU84P) 2013 N7: Stock 4.4.4 (KTU84P)
iTouch 5G: 6.1.2 (10B146) Surface Pro 2: Win8.1u1 (6.3.9600.17085.amd64fre.winblue_gdr.140330-1035)

mdamaged
Old
Thanks Meter 872

DONATE TO ME
You want MultiROM. The first ROM would have to be rooted, but the secondary can be completely stock and unrooted.
Kenneth, what is the frequency? Set a fire for a man, and he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will stay warm for the rest of his life.

Muikkuman
Old
Thanks Meter 339
There is a module for the xposed framework which are able to hide root for selected apps.

Sent from my Desire HD
Do not compare yourself to others. If you do so, you are insulting yourself.

My devices:

HTC Desire HD, S-OFF with ViperDHD by Team Venom

Nexus 7 Stock rooted.