[Q] EU version used in the UK

10th May 2014, 07:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
I've just got a new HTC One which when setting up did not have English UK language as an option. The setup defaulted to English German and I've since found out that the phone is an EU version. Is this going to give me any issues in getting system updates and running apps? If the phone is not a specific UK model I'm worried I may not get certain updates. Will the language also influence the way apps run? Should I send it back?
11th May 2014, 03:46 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 20

73 posts
More
Shouldn't be an issue if you're able to set it to English. The updates you receive will be specific to the software version you're running, which can be changed.

If you go to Settings>About>Software Information, what is the software version? Ideally you'd be looking for x.xx.401.x which is the WWE (world-wide English) version, or x.xx.1540.x which is the US Developer Edition, which should be equally suitable for EU usage. Only real difference between the two is the Dev Edition receives updates well before the others.

If your software version is not one of those, you can do some searching here on how to S-Off your phone and flash one of those versions to your phone. The short version is to register at HTCDev.com, follow the instructions on how to unlock your bootloader, then use Rumrunner to make your phone S-Off. After that, the doors start to open on allowing you to switch your phone's operating system. Just do some searching if this is the route you want to take. It sounds complicated, but once you've done it, it's not too bad. The next barrier would come only if your phone's model ID is different from the one the software you want to flash is for. I'm going to assume your phone is PN0710000 which would mean the 401 software would be an easy transition. To use the 1540 software, you'd have to change the model ID to PN0712000, which requires some extra steps.

Last thing if you decide to go this route is you will trip over the words "custom recovery" over and over again. Don't worry about it. Unless you have a specific need for one, I always advise against it since it will prevent you from receiving updates and has great potential to brick your phone if you don't know what you're doing.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread