Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,490 Members 50,346 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

So... Where's this Knox thing??

Tip us?

PIzzimperfect
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default So... Where's this Knox thing??

Hey all,

I have an s5 on EE in the UK.
Heard about this Knox security software. It shows in my list of installed apps yet I can't seem to locate where it is?
Also debating root... Not sure if it's worth it, but did want to have a look at Knox.

Thanks

fenchai
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIzzimperfect View Post
Hey all,

I have an s5 on EE in the UK.
Heard about this Knox security software. It shows in my list of installed apps yet I can't seem to locate where it is?
Also debating root... Not sure if it's worth it, but did want to have a look at Knox.

Thanks
knox is a security implemented by samsung, it is active in the background, has no app for that. basically it "protects" samsung warranty better than the triangle in download mode witch shows how many imes you flashed, if you had roted ur device, in download mode will show u have 0x1 warranty voided.<---- thats basically KNOX.

Sent from my SM-G900H using XDA Free mobile app

PIzzimperfect
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ahh ok.. Thank you.

Wow Samsung, you suck.

DSA
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4750

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIzzimperfect View Post
Ahh ok.. Thank you.

Wow Samsung, you suck.
you are in the UK so Knox doesn't void your warranty once tripped
Every time you don't use search or read the OP, a kitten, bunny, baby turtle, and fuzzy Harp Seal are killed.

PIzzimperfect
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
you are in the UK so Knox doesn't void your warranty once tripped
I check my insurance which I took out for my phone when I got it. They state that modifying or rooting will make my insurance void. How annoying. Is there some legality involved?

Thanks!

nicholaschum
Old
(Last edited by nicholaschum; 11th May 2014 at 04:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1049

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenchai View Post
knox is a security implemented by samsung, it is active in the background, has no app for that. basically it "protects" samsung warranty better than the triangle in download mode witch shows how many imes you flashed, if you had roted ur device, in download mode will show u have 0x1 warranty voided.<---- thats basically KNOX.

Sent from my SM-G900H using XDA Free mobile app
No. ^

KNOX is a security container -> a place where you install apps inside a secure container that cannot be tampered with on a high level TrustZone security algorithm.

It's great that the person above said what it essentially does to your device, but what he explained above is what happens when the TrustZone between the software and the hardware is breached during root/downgrade/unsigned flashing. This essentially would allow the viewer of the KNOX status to know when the device does not trust it's own body with secure enterprise level apps (Application Integrity), hence the KNOX warranty bit will be set from 0x0 to 0x1 meaning "I will not ever run a secure container anymore".

You won't find KNOX 2.0 on your device as this is now a paid service for enterprises at a rate of $3.60 and it is only set up on your device when you have the KNOX 2.0 kit deployed on your device, unlike KNOX 1.0 where you get to enter KNOX mode anytime you want.
Problem with ROM? Try this or ask me on G+!
Root/TWRP/Kernel/ROM and KNOX 0x0 on N900W8? My guide.

Primary Phone: OnePlus One - A0001
Mahdi v2.7 12/08, ak v31b12, TWRP 2.7.1.1

Secondary Phone: Note 3 - SM-N900W8
Temasek UO v124, Temasek v3.91, TWRP 2.7.1, NA2 BL, NB7 CP, 0x0

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012)

OnePlus One ◆ Note 3 ◆ Xperia Tab P ◆ Nexus 7 ◆ Note II LTE ◆ S III LTE ◆ One X ◆ Note I ◆ Galaxy Nexus ◆ S II LTE ◆ S II