Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,194 Members 42,107 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] A Few Questions about Internal Storage and minimizing its usage.

Tip us?

.:Death_Angel:.
Old
(Last edited by .:Death_Angel:.; 5th May 2014 at 09:23 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Cool [Q] A Few Questions about Internal Storage and minimizing its usage.

Hello all .

I have a Android Phone that has very low Internal Storage. (After STOCK mod restore, there is only 100 MB internal storage free .).

So, naturally I want to put all the apps that I install now to External SD Card.

I've tried App2SD and Link2SD already.

But, when i used App2SD, the internal storage was still dropping as I installed more and more apps. (App2SD was working, meaning app2sd did move the apps to SD, but still there was decrease in free Internal Memory).

Then, I tried Link2SD. This gave me the same result as App2SD. This was better than App2SD though, meaning the decrease in Internal Memory was slower compared to App2SD.

Now, here's my question : I want a proper technique to move EVERYTHING app related to SD card when i install an app.

Here is an Idea :
Can i create links to Directories in Internal Memory and move the Directories to external SD card ?
i know i can create links to files. but is it possible to link whole directories ? (If the app tries to create new files or directories, the link must work in such a way that new files and directories are created in External SD....... this must be invincible or transparent to the App..)

Some more of my Ideas :

Recently, I came across this : [TOOL] DirectoryBind - move data to external_sd (GameLoft, Shadowgun etc.) ROOT req. - xda-developers
Can I Bind the whole "/data/app" and "/data/data" and "/data/dalvik-cache" to External SD Card ?
Will it cause any OS instability ? or any other problems ?

And i have 1 more question :

When i install a new Application, I wanna know all the directories that it uses.
These i know : /data/app (for apk), /data/data (for data) and /data/dalvik-cache (for odex) ... Where else does the application use storage space ?
This i wanna know coz, im going to try to Bind the Directories using the tool i mentioned above. Or try to create Links...

Thanks a lot fellow XDA-Developers.... .
If its of any help, my android device is "Karbonn A5i" .

Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Bump

LS.xD
Old
Thanks Meter 585

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Death_Angel:. View Post
Bump
Int2Ext sript is what you're looking for You will have to partition your sdcard. First partition Fat(32), second partition Ext2/3/4. The scripts are meant to flash immediately after flashing the rom via cwm as other recoveries are not doing well with the scripts.

Int2Ext scripts move all app data to the Ext partition on your sdcard

Int2Ext+ scripts will move most of the data to Ext partition but will still use some of the internal storage as its faster this way.

Keep in mind that moving all data to sdcard will slow down your device
HTC One S @ PAC-man 4.4.2 [ALPHA1] [12/5/2014] + IceCode Kernel v4.0 // HBoot 2.15 - unlocked BL - S-OFF - NO "tampered & warning text" // TWRP mod 2.7.0.8

Samsung Galaxy W @ ParanoidAndroid 4.3 [BETA3] [6/5/2014] + KhaN Kernel v2.0 // Base: I8150XXLMI // PhilZ CWM 6.01.4

"REVIVED" HTC Wildfire S @ CyanogenMod 11(AWESOME!!!) [6/5/2014] //HBoot 1.09 - unlocked BL // TWRP 2.7.0.0

It won't hurt you to press "thanks" if me or someone other helped you...

Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks a lot LS.xD for your reply. I hit a few bumps along the road, but its working like charm now .

Here are the problems that I faced :

1) I didn't have Init.d Support in my Phone.
Solution : Universal Init.d - Android Apps on Google Play
This Doesn't work at all : [GUIDE][XSP]Easy init.d support for Stock ROMs - xda-developers

2) The Int2Ext script installation resulted in an Error (in ClockworkMod) (Status 0 Error.).
Solution : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=66

After getting past those things, everything is working just fine now (I'm using INT2EXT) .

Again, Thanks a lot LS.xD for you help.