Sony Encouraging SmartWatch 2 Development

Mobile device companies like selling devices–it’s how they make their money and … more

Easily Toggles Your Lollipop Mobile Data Network Type

Android Lollipop is by good margin the most advanced and refinedversion of … more

Unofficial CM12 for Android One, Disabling Encryption on Nexus 6 – XDA TV

Android One devices have received an Unofficial CyanogenMod … more

Pushbullet Universal Copy/Paste Availabe for Linux, Mac OS X

Pushbullet is one of those useful utilities that once installed, permanently … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] A question about Getting Updates on the Rooted Sony xperia L

OP EGY falcon

11th May 2014, 01:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

33 posts
I have Sony Xperia L and wants to root it, but I afraid of some points, like:

1- Does the rooted phone get the ordinary " Apps " updates ??
2- Does the rooted phone get updates from manufacturer, in my case It's " Sony " ?
3- I read this article
Quote:

We highly recommend against downloading these updates, since you may not be able to re-root your phone for a while after updating.

, Is that means if I notified about a new update other than the installed firmware version, I have to wait until someone make a new root method to be able to install the new update ??

I appreciate anyone's help, Thanks
Last edited by EGY falcon; 11th May 2014 at 01:48 AM.
11th May 2014, 05:08 PM   |  #2  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 51

125 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGY falcon

I have Sony Xperia L and wants to root it, but I afraid of some points, like:

1- Does the rooted phone get the ordinary " Apps " updates ??
2- Does the rooted phone get updates from manufacturer, in my case It's " Sony " ?
3- I read this article , Is that means if I notified about a new update other than the installed firmware version, I have to wait until someone make a new root method to be able to install the new update ??

I appreciate anyone's help, Thanks

1 if you mean play store updates, yes
2 maybe they offer them to you, but you shouldn't take them because you may lose root. if by "sony updates" you mean updates to sony apps, those should update from the play store like usual. software updates (firmware updates, OTA updates) are the ones you shouldn't take
3 yes
The Following User Says Thank You to keen36 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2014, 05:40 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen36

1 if you mean play store updates, yes
2 maybe they offer them to you, but you shouldn't take them because you may lose root. if by "sony updates" you mean updates to sony apps, those should update from the play store like usual. software updates (firmware updates, OTA updates) are the ones you shouldn't take
3 yes

First of all, I want to Thank you for your interest
but, what if I install the OTA update by accident, It will just unroot the phone and return it to it's original condition ?, or it will lead to " Bricking " ?
2nd : Sony Apps cannot be updated through the play store, I can only update them from Sony " Update Center ", Is that's true or I'm mistaken ?
By the way, I need to make root just to install Titanium Backup, and to install apps in SD card, and not to make a custom ROM.
Thanks Mate
11th May 2014, 07:55 PM   |  #4  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 51

125 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGY falcon

First of all, I want to Thank you for your interest
but, what if I install the OTA update by accident, It will just unroot the phone and return it to it's original condition ?, or it will lead to " Bricking " ?
2nd : Sony Apps cannot be updated through the play store, I can only update them from Sony " Update Center ", Is that's true or I'm mistaken ?
By the way, I need to make root just to install Titanium Backup, and to install apps in SD card, and not to make a custom ROM.

Thanks Mate

i think the bricking on OTA happens only on unlocked bootloaders. i do not know that for sure, though, it is probably best if you ask in the thread where you found the instructions to root your phone!

ah, the update center... if you are just rooting and not unlocking your bootloader, i would assume that it will work just fine. also not sure, though!

there should be a board specially for your phone on this forum. it is probably best to ask about rooting there. if i had to guess, you will not run into any problems, you seem to be careful enough
11th May 2014, 07:59 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen36

i think the bricking on OTA happens only on unlocked bootloaders. i do not know that for sure, though, it is probably best if you ask in the thread where you found the instructions to root your phone!

ah, the update center... if you are just rooting and not unlocking your bootloader, i would assume that it will work just fine. also not sure, though!

there should be a board specially for your phone on this forum. it is probably best to ask about rooting there. if i had to guess, you will not run into any problems, you seem to be careful enough

Thanks Bro. for your help
The Following User Says Thank You to EGY falcon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #6  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 103

373 posts
More
Shouldn't be honestly

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread