Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,444 Members 44,968 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Gear Fit and Cycling

Tip us?

zack89
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Gear Fit and Cycling

Dear Community,

i recently tried the Gear Fit in a Samsung Experience Store. As i chose "Cycling" the Gear Fit told me to connect it with my phone, so it could use the GPS module for training statistics. It is only possible to use the Cycline option in connection with a smartphone? Or does it nevertheless measure my BPM and time without the use of the phones GPS module? It would be very weird to carry my phone all the time when i go cylcing...

Thanks, zack

TheFletch
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack89 View Post
Dear Community,

i recently tried the Gear Fit in a Samsung Experience Store. As i chose "Cycling" the Gear Fit told me to connect it with my phone, so it could use the GPS module for training statistics. It is only possible to use the Cycline option in connection with a smartphone? Or does it nevertheless measure my BPM and time without the use of the phones GPS module? It would be very weird to carry my phone all the time when i go cylcing...

Thanks, zack
Unfortunately all the excersize functions require GPS, thusly a phone to function. Even if you have a phone connected and the GPS off it halts saying you aren't moving. At this point that is the limitation. Hopefully that will change so the fit can be used for stationary bikes, etc.

From my Galaxy Note 2

zack89
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFletch View Post
Unfortunately all the excersize functions require GPS, thusly a phone to function. Even if you have a phone connected and the GPS off it halts saying you aren't moving. At this point that is the limitation. Hopefully that will change so the fit can be used for stationary bikes, etc.

From my Galaxy Note 2

so i cant just run with the gear fit, without having my mobile with me?? does the gear fit then not measures my taken steps and by bpm?

TheFletch
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack89 View Post
so i cant just run with the gear fit, without having my mobile with me?? does the gear fit then not measures my taken steps and by bpm?
Others please correct me if I've missed something. The steps can be measured all the time, but continuous bpm is only measured in excersize mode which needs GPS. It's a horrible answer but I believe a correct one.

From my Galaxy Note 2

tommy1971
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Using running/hiking mode does not require connection to phone

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy Note 16Gb
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1/ Overcome @ 1.4GHz
Barnes & Noble Nook Color/ CM7.1 @ 1.2GHz
HP TouchPad 32Gb / F15 @ 1.8GHz

Lukeenho
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Hiking actually requires GPS. Hiking and biking I guess itīs because of ascent/descent measuring ?

TheFletch
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeenho View Post
Hiking actually requires GPS. Hiking and biking I guess itīs because of ascent/descent measuring ?
Oh, great. Good to know. I'll do some more thorough testing.

From my Galaxy Note 2

pRo_lama
Old
Thanks Meter 173

DONATE TO ME
For Run and Walk you don't need phone.
# LG G3 (32GB)
# Google Nexus 7 (2013): OmniROM 4.4.4 - unlocked bootloader - rooted
# Samsung Gear Fit (SM-R350): R350XXU0BNE5 - black/orange strap - GFM v1.67.0523