LG G3 Receives Oversharpening Fix via Modified Kernel

Nothing is perfect, as they say. No matter how alluring or seemingly perfect, … more

APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Anyone interested in a lumia 1020 sensor teardown?

OP motoi_bogdan

11th May 2014, 02:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 337

305 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hello guys.
I have a dead lumia 1020 sensor due some water damage. it so happens that i'm involved with electronics therefore i have some helpfull tools at disposal. if anyone is interested i'll try to open the sensor assembly and expose the guts inside. could be fun...

PS tried the same question on lumia's forum page but i figured out that it could be interesting not only for lumia owners but in general as a small inside into how phone sensors are made and what's up with those small 5-6 lenses inside these sensors.
11th May 2014, 05:10 PM   |  #2  
gurgaon
Thanks Meter: 5

35 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoi_bogdan

Hello guys.
I have a dead lumia 1020 sensor due some water damage. it so happens that i'm involved with electronics therefore i have some helpfull tools at disposal. if anyone is interested i'll try to open the sensor assembly and expose the guts inside. could be fun...

PS tried the same question on lumia's forum page but i figured out that it could be interesting not only for lumia owners but in general as a small inside into how phone sensors are made and what's up with those small 5-6 lenses inside these sensors.

yes why not ..! i would like to watch it ......thanks for it !

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

which form i have to subscribe .....

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishav754

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

which form i will have to subscribe ...??
11th May 2014, 06:09 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

305 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishav754

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

which form i will have to subscribe ...??

no subscription is required, if people are interested, i'll be making some time to do it. i must first get some tools to get this done, since it's a tiny little thing and must be carefully taken apart in order to see the inside components the way they are mounted.
If anyone have any questions or wish for a specific thing to be tested/shown, please ask.
I also want to manually try to power up the OIS and various other motors inside to try to see how they work together.
Meanwhile, here's a photo with the sensor itself next to the phone and a AA battery for size reference. Quite a beasty in term of phone sensor sizes. It's a good thing since it's internals are bigger and better observable then a smaller sensor. However, the basic principles behind it are the same for all high end phone cameras.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	2738044  
Last edited by motoi_bogdan; 11th May 2014 at 06:11 PM.
11th May 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #4  
gurgaon

35 posts
More
first time i am looking a mobile sensor ......its too big . most of the sensor i viewed are small in size but it looks too big . is it includes : Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer sensors ...??
11th May 2014, 08:58 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

305 posts
Donate to Me
More
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	2738291

here's the same sensor next to a "regular" 8 mpx sensor. note that a phone like the iphone 5/5s has an even smaller sensor then this, even if it still produces 8mpx photos.

yes, it's kind of big
...and noup, all the sensors you cited in your post ar not included in that casing for what i know now. inside of it i expect to find the imaging sensor (camera..) OIS motors, lens assembly and bearings, some dc motors and a few mechanical parts.
in general, on a typical android phone, accelerometer/compass/barometer/temperature/gyroscope sensors are located directly on the main board. Proximity/ambient light sensors, on the other hand/ are always located near the screen itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to motoi_bogdan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2014, 09:07 PM   |  #6  
gurgaon

35 posts
More
can you open this sensor ...??

if opened please send a pic of it ..!!

and thanks for information ..!
11th May 2014, 09:29 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

305 posts
Donate to Me
More
i could try in about 2 days. The back of the sensor is embeded in a thin cement layer. I would first need to get some tools to extract the outer casing without damaging the internals.
11th May 2014, 09:32 PM   |  #8  
gurgaon

35 posts
More
keep trying...

Sent from my C2305 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread