Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 44,082 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Upgrade to 4.4.2 and the future of unlocking the bootloader

Tip us?

BeanBagKing
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Upgrade to 4.4.2 and the future of unlocking the bootloader

I've read most of the posts on here, but all of them seem to be concerned with keeping root. Really I don't even know if this is a question that can be answered since I know the bootloader is still locked. I don't really care about root, the only thing that I would REALLY like to do is install CyanogenMod, which isn't an option at the moment. Given that, I'm thinking about taking the 4.4.2 update so I can have access to a lot of the new features, and get this annoying "Software update ready to install" message off of my screen.

The thing that worries me is that, if I do take this and the bootloader does get unlocked in the future, what are the chances this will affect my ability to use that unlock? For example, lets say an exploit is found that allows MK2 and previous bootloaders to be unlocked, but not NC5 (I believe that's the new version).

I think the question can be answered if anyone knows if the update changes or adds new security to the bootloader? If it does, then it may affect a future update. If it doesn't, then an unlock for one should work for the other right?

Like I said, I don't need or use root, but should I worry about rooting it before updating? From what I read, I can root MK2 and keep that root after updating, but I won't be able to root once I update to NC5. The only reason I would want it is, again, if it would be necessary for a future bootloader unlock.

Like I said, I know this unlock is only hypothetical, but maybe someone that knows more about it than me can extrapolate from past experience and requirements.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

jwhistler
Old
(Last edited by jwhistler; 10th May 2014 at 10:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
deleted

joshuabg
Old
Thanks Meter 264

DONATE TO ME
You can upgrade to nc5 with keeping the mk2 bootloaders if you dont take the ota
The Following User Says Thank You to joshuabg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 1174
You got a very slim chance of either 4.3 or 4.4 being unlocked. Of course if you want to put yourself in the best possible position, stay on 4.3 since you can always upgrade to 4.4 if something did happen.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar
The Following User Says Thank You to joshm.1219 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 766
Joshm is spot on...what little improvements found in kitkat doesn't strike me as enough of a reason to move to 4.4...I'm running baja rom with awesome performance.

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom
S4 powered by hashcode 3.72 safestrap and Echo V26 kitkat
The Following User Says Thank You to decaturbob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BeanBagKing
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks, follow up question then. Is there any way to get rid of that annoying "Software update ready to install" popup from Verizon?

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1256

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanBagKing View Post
Thanks, follow up question then. Is there any way to get rid of that annoying "Software update ready to install" popup from Verizon?
Root your phone using SafeRoot then grab Titanium Backup from play store and freeze "SDM" . for good measure you can freeze " FWUgrade" too but SDM should do it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BeanBagKing
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
Root your phone using SafeRoot then grab Titanium Backup from play store and freeze "SDM" . for good measure you can freeze " FWUgrade" too but SDM should do it.

Too late This morning I was unlocking my phone and hit the stupid install now popup that defaults to the top of everything when my phone wakes up.

The good news is the new Google Camera is amazing and I'm really no worse off. The bad news will come if anyone ever finds a way to unlock the bootloader that only works with previous versions

Thanks for the help everyone.

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1256

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanBagKing View Post
Too late This morning I was unlocking my phone and hit the stupid install now popup that defaults to the top of everything when my phone wakes up.

The good news is the new Google Camera is amazing and I'm really no worse off. The bad news will come if anyone ever finds a way to unlock the bootloader that only works with previous versions

Thanks for the help everyone.
Well there is a downgrade method that partially puts your phone back to mk2 after taking the nc5 ota. You'd be able to have root and SafeStrap again. It's in Android Development. I haven't done it myself but hear it's not to hard to do

The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]