Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,463 Members 50,706 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to stop Android data usage leaks?

Tip us?

timgrabowsky
Old
(Last edited by timgrabowsky; 11th May 2014 at 09:25 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Cloud Search [Q] How to stop Android data usage leaks?

Hi!

I have a rooted Xperia M dual (C2005) with factory firmare (4.2.2). Installed Afwall+ and blocked all network activity except Firefox and K9mail.
But there is still network usage (Android OS).

There is a blog post about this, but I can't link it. Google on "How to debug/examine data usage leaks in Android using iptables"

Does somebody have an idea how can I block these types of data transfer?

Thank you,

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-11-18-18-40.png
Views:	11
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	2738335  

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 490

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgrabowsky View Post
Hi!

I have a rooted Xperia M dual (C2005) with factory firmare (4.2.2). Installed Afwall+ and blocked all network activity except Firefox and K9mail.
But there is still network usage (Android OS).

Does somebody have an idea how can I block these types of data transfer?

Thank you,

Tim
Last time this kind of issue popped up from a few days ago, it was because of tethering. Do you tether? And sometimes the Android OS reads traffic from other apps and is included there. Like for instance, you use K-9. If you use it to access your Google account for mail, that could explain the data traffic there. I'm not an expert in these matters though, so might be a better answer out there.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)

timgrabowsky
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s View Post
Last time this kind of issue popped up from a few days ago, it was because of tethering. Do you tether? And sometimes the Android OS reads traffic from other apps and is included there. Like for instance, you use K-9. If you use it to access your Google account for mail, that could explain the data traffic there. I'm not an expert in these matters though, so might be a better answer out there.
Hi, es0tericcha0s!

Thank you for the answer. No teething, no Google mail, absolutely no Google account registered on the phone.
Why could a @gmail e-mail account in a 3rd parity e-mail client make traffic on the OS level?

Cheers,

Tim

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 490

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgrabowsky View Post
Hi, es0tericcha0s!

Thank you for the answer. No teething, no Google mail, absolutely no Google account registered on the phone.
Why could a @gmail e-mail account in a 3rd parity e-mail client make traffic on the OS level?

Cheers,

Tim
Weird. Can't even imagine not having a Google account on my devices. lol But most of the IP addresses were Google's so, was assuming that the OS would detect that and thought it might be linked to a Google account and you mentioned having 2 apps and one of them was an email. Stretching a bit for the answer. lol But android is funny and doesn't necessarily work the same across different updates, carriers, and manufacturers, so this kind of stuff can be tricky.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)