Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,223 Members 42,229 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Strange and inconsistent battery drain

Tip us?

evak2979
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Strange and inconsistent battery drain

I wouldn't exactly call this an issue because it doesn't really affect how I use my phone - it's merely something odd that has me curious if anyone else has it:

If I charge my phone all night, and plug it out at 100%, then no matter what I do it'll stick to 100% for a long, LONG while before it hits 99% - we're talking..25 mins of sat nav, and spotify, and full screen brightness on the go. But then, it falls down into a more regular pace of discharging.
If however I unplug it 5-10 mins after it hits 100%, it starts discharging normally.

I think I can get a batter life of full browsing of 6 hours, probably. Maybe a bit more (never tried it, never needed to).

I am just curious why this happens with my LG. Do you think it's a fault or is it fairly common?

Thanks

P.S. - testing it again now - 15 mins in youtube watching a video, still at 100%. very strange

bachera
Old
Thanks Meter 384
you seem to have found some interesting sweetspots of charging and battery depletions.

My instinct tells me the discharging and the 100% mark is influenced by code in some way other then the battery being truly at 100%. There is software like android tuner or battery widget that monitors stuff.

however a great dev already wrote something about tinkering on lg's side in reporting the battery. Which means the percentage is. indicative but completely reliable. To gain more indepth into the actual battery usage other apps are needed. If have battery ocd that is.

I would report this to lg, just to be sure nothing else is happening

evak2979
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachera View Post
you seem to have found some interesting sweetspots of charging and battery depletions.

My instinct tells me the discharging and the 100% mark is influenced by code in some way other then the battery being truly at 100%. There is software like android tuner or battery widget that monitors stuff.

however a great dev already wrote something about tinkering on lg's side in reporting the battery. Which means the percentage is. indicative but completely reliable. To gain more indepth into the actual battery usage other apps are needed. If have battery ocd that is.

I would report this to lg, just to be sure nothing else is happening
what is more interesting is that this happens to me both on official LG, and on ROM (cloudyfix).

Continuing with my tests, I have been running youtube on repeat since unplugging and monitoring. I am now at 50%, with...close to 5 hours of usage?

bachera
Old
Thanks Meter 384
then its playing from buffer and not continiously downloading and streaming right?

evak2979
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
then its playing from buffer and not continiously downloading and streaming right?
It downloaded all times. I plugged the phone in to charge at 10.at that time I had 7:30 hours YouTube screen time on auto at 90 . I suppose this is a good performance?

bachera
Old
Thanks Meter 384
its great performance
The Following User Says Thank You to bachera For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

evak2979
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
its great performance
yeah i thought so.
So I'll leave with that little flaw I think, I'll just learn not to mind it and be sure to always charge overnight to get the best next day. Thanks for the help

tiguy99
Old
Thanks Meter 93
I usually charge my phone and reboot it right after it hits 100%. I don't disconnect the charger until the phone restarts completely.

Doing that I get outstanding battery life
- LG G2 32GB (white)
- HTC Sensation 4G (project phone)

- Motorola Atrix HD (Sold but not forgotten)
- HTC One XL (still in the family)
- Samsung galaxy s2 T-mobile Jedi Mind Trick v9 ROM (sold)
- iPhone 4 white unlocked (sold)
- iPhone 3G 16GB (sold)
- iphone Unlocked (sold)
- T-Mobile Dash (Sold)
- Verizon Motorola Q (Sold) <--- best phone I
had before the iphone