Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Strange and inconsistent battery drain

OP evak2979

10th May 2014, 02:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

62 posts
I wouldn't exactly call this an issue because it doesn't really affect how I use my phone - it's merely something odd that has me curious if anyone else has it:

If I charge my phone all night, and plug it out at 100%, then no matter what I do it'll stick to 100% for a long, LONG while before it hits 99% - we're talking..25 mins of sat nav, and spotify, and full screen brightness on the go. But then, it falls down into a more regular pace of discharging.
If however I unplug it 5-10 mins after it hits 100%, it starts discharging normally.

I think I can get a batter life of full browsing of 6 hours, probably. Maybe a bit more (never tried it, never needed to).

I am just curious why this happens with my LG. Do you think it's a fault or is it fairly common?

Thanks

P.S. - testing it again now - 15 mins in youtube watching a video, still at 100%. very strange
10th May 2014, 03:37 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 471

1,769 posts
you seem to have found some interesting sweetspots of charging and battery depletions.

My instinct tells me the discharging and the 100% mark is influenced by code in some way other then the battery being truly at 100%. There is software like android tuner or battery widget that monitors stuff.

however a great dev already wrote something about tinkering on lg's side in reporting the battery. Which means the percentage is. indicative but completely reliable. To gain more indepth into the actual battery usage other apps are needed. If have battery ocd that is.

I would report this to lg, just to be sure nothing else is happening
10th May 2014, 08:08 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

62 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachera

you seem to have found some interesting sweetspots of charging and battery depletions.

My instinct tells me the discharging and the 100% mark is influenced by code in some way other then the battery being truly at 100%. There is software like android tuner or battery widget that monitors stuff.

however a great dev already wrote something about tinkering on lg's side in reporting the battery. Which means the percentage is. indicative but completely reliable. To gain more indepth into the actual battery usage other apps are needed. If have battery ocd that is.

I would report this to lg, just to be sure nothing else is happening

what is more interesting is that this happens to me both on official LG, and on ROM (cloudyfix).

Continuing with my tests, I have been running youtube on repeat since unplugging and monitoring. I am now at 50%, with...close to 5 hours of usage?
10th May 2014, 09:05 PM   |  #4  

1,769 posts
then its playing from buffer and not continiously downloading and streaming right?
11th May 2014, 12:00 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

62 posts
Quote:

then its playing from buffer and not continiously downloading and streaming right?

It downloaded all times. I plugged the phone in to charge at 10.at that time I had 7:30 hours YouTube screen time on auto at 90 . I suppose this is a good performance?
11th May 2014, 07:35 PM   |  #6  

1,769 posts
its great performance
The Following User Says Thank You to bachera For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2014, 10:06 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

62 posts
Quote:

its great performance

yeah i thought so.
So I'll leave with that little flaw I think, I'll just learn not to mind it and be sure to always charge overnight to get the best next day. Thanks for the help
12th May 2014, 01:32 AM   |  #8  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 112

906 posts
I usually charge my phone and reboot it right after it hits 100%. I don't disconnect the charger until the phone restarts completely.

Doing that I get outstanding battery life

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread