Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,406 Members 42,251 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Auto-dimming bug

Tip us?

swy05
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Auto-dimming bug

Great phone but, it appears to be a bug with the screen dimming.

Regarding settings, I have everything turned off. Adapt display is off. Auto-brightness is off. Auto-adjust screen tone is off also.

I know Samsung displays dim if the phone overheats but my phone will auto-dim even if the phone is cool.

What I've found out is that the phone will only dim "permanently" when the screen is about to shut off.

For example: Set the screen shut off to 30 seconds and around the 28 second mark, the screen will dim for a couple of seconds before it shuts off. This is where the auto-dimming will "permanently" kick in. When the screen dims at the 28 second mark for a second, i'll touch the screen so it doesn't shut off. But by this time, the screen has dimmed already and won't go back to the regular brightness. I have to lock and unlock the phone for the dimmed screen to go away.

This scenario has happened every single time. Extremely annoying.

Anyone else experience this?

GodXen
Old
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by swy05 View Post
Great phone but, it appears to be a bug with the screen dimming.

Regarding settings, I have everything turned off. Adapt display is off. Auto-brightness is off. Auto-adjust screen tone is off also.

I know Samsung displays dim if the phone overheats but my phone will auto-dim even if the phone is cool.

What I've found out is that the phone will only dim "permanently" when the screen is about to shut off.

For example: Set the screen shut off to 30 seconds and around the 28 second mark, the screen will dim for a couple of seconds before it shuts off. This is where the auto-dimming will "permanently" kick in. When the screen dims at the 28 second mark for a second, i'll touch the screen so it doesn't shut off. But by this time, the screen has dimmed already and won't go back to the regular brightness. I have to lock and unlock the phone for the dimmed screen to go away.

This scenario has happened every single time. Extremely annoying.

Anyone else experience this?
Seems like software problem, do you use custom roms? kernels? maybe any app that could control ur screen? try to do hard reset.
Galaxy Note 3: SM-N9005 with 3G & LTE connectivity
Knox: 0x1
Root: CF-Auto-Root
Recovery: TWRP 2.7
Kernel: Kernel Sapec 2.1 TW_KK
ROM: X-NOTE build 15.0
Color meaning: Name - Link
http://goo.gl/WyDqBn question
Hit Thanks if helped.

swy05
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodXen View Post
Seems like software problem, do you use custom roms? kernels? maybe any app that could control ur screen? try to do hard reset.
Using stock Kit-Kat 4.4.2

No other strange apps. Ughh hate to have to do a hard reset. Just set this thing up yesterday brand new.

acerdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Have the exact same issue but it only happens some times very strange.

swy05
Old
(Last edited by swy05; 11th May 2014 at 11:41 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerdroid View Post
Have the exact same issue but it only happens some times very strange.
Yes, same here. It happens alot. Not every single time, but alot of the times.

murali.tk
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Lightbulb Try this...

Hi

As the other user said it might be the software bug.
Please try this app. Disable your auto brightness and install this software https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...assisi.luxlite
This lite version is free. Try this. If everything works, you may consider the paid version to support the dev guy...