Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,869 Members 39,444 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] KFHD 8.9" ADB works, fastboot doesn't

Tip us?

msmitty12
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] KFHD 8.9" ADB works, fastboot doesn't

Hello,

I successfully rooted my KFHD 8.9" with Bin4ry's "root many android." I want to install Cyanogenmod on my tablet, so I installed the android adt bundle. The problem I have is that I'm unable to fastboot the Kindle. Typing "adb devices" in the command prompt looks like this:

adb devices
B0C91101319300F6 device

However, typing "fastboot devices" in the prompt returns nothing. I've also tried powering off and unplugging my Kindle, typing this:

fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

into the command prompt and then pluggin in the device. However, the command prompt just stays at < waiting for device > and the Kindle powers on normally (not fastboot mode).

Did anyone have this same problem? If you were able to fastboot successfully, which drivers did you use (where did you download them from)? I tried the drivers from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1893838 and here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2337634. Niether worked.

Thanks!

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 603

DONATE TO ME
If you have adb access try "adb reboot bootloader", or if rooted run
Code:
Select Code
adb shell "su -c 'reboot bootloader'"
That should get you into fastboot so you can install the drivers in my signature, from there on the method you were previously trying should work.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

hhairplane
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
If you have adb access try "adb reboot bootloader", or if rooted run
Code:
Select Code
adb shell "su -c 'reboot bootloader'"
That should get you into fastboot so you can install the drivers in my signature, from there on the method you were previously trying should work.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
Sorry, I'm a bit confused, which drivers? Also, where to install the drivers computer, Kindle?

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 603

DONATE TO ME
The drivers are in my signature(my signature is only viewable when not in a tapatalk or equivalent app, like if you view this thread on your pc.), download them onto your computer and extract them somewhere, open the device manager with kindle plugged in and USB debugging enabled and you should see a device with a yellow triangle next to it. Right click it and hit update driver, and tell it to search the directory you extracted my drivers to and it should install. If you are on windows 8 you will have to disable driver signature enforcement first.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE

stephenrscholl
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Just use fireflash Google the apk. I had the same problem. The only tutorials were for the 7 in, but find one. Don't use the files they tell you to use. Go to hashcodes goo.im and find the ones for the 8.9.

Sent from my Amazon Jem using Tapatalk

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 603

DONATE TO ME
Or you can use the fireflash tutorial for 8.9", its stickied in the 8.9 dev section. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2277105

While the fireflash method is easier, you have to make sure you check the box that downgrades the bootloader or you will have a red screen brick upon reboot. The box to check has red warning text under it. somehow people miss it.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk