I have a very limited history with tablets. Only Tegra 2 ones and those were bad days. I do know that Android tablets don't share the attention Android phones have. Still I am looking for a fully and easily customisable and community-friendly tablet as a Nexus 4 user.
First of all Nexus 7 and 10 are not an option in my country. Adding that I hate Samsung this leaves me thinking (actually considering, because I did not even know that G Pad existed) G Pad 8.3 which has a very elegant look and affordable price.
But I have questions; So please help me out with them..
1) Is there OTG support for 2.5" hard drives?
2) Like I said, I am a Nexus 4 user. I have withnessed Note 2's aging before it and it killed me because hardware was there to save the day but Samsung let it die slowly. I also have withnessed Galaxy Nexus's survival throught developers due to its open coded nature. How is the openness in LG world? And how is the software support and community? I don't expect a Nexus 7 easiness but still, some G2, Z1 level customisable-ness and openness would be awesome..
3) Since we mentioned G2, how long do you thing the chipset will survive? Even G2 has S800 (don't mind the CPU but the Adreno 330) but this tablet S600 with Adreno 320. I guess this is a faster and 32 pipeline version of a regular Adreno 320 which comes with S4 Pro right? What do you think for its gaming future? (having Galaxy S4 and 2013 Nexus 7 on board with same or slower GPUs out there makes me think that G Pad 8.3 will survive another 1.5-2 years with ease but I am not sure)
4) How is AOSP? I think there is GPE version but could we easily switch to an AOSP based ROM? How about ROMs like Omni or PA or any other famous and multi-device-supporting ones?
5) Are there any chronical problems? Where should I pay attention before buying?
6) How is the battery time and screen quality?
7) I know I said I hate Samsung but I am going to buy 2 of them (One for my company) and I can find Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro for an additional 100 Dollars (Lg is 400, Samsung with no Wi-Fi is 500). Considering these questions above would you tell which one is better? Samsung has a better GPU but also has twice many pixels to push out. Especially the GPU is scaring me, GPUs are the only reason I had to change a device-including laptops- in my mobile world experience so far..
8) What are your opinions? Is there any regrets? Or anyone saying "I should have gone for other tablet"?
Thank you for reading this long writing And for the answers of course..