Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,344 Members 53,188 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Questions before buying G Pad

Tip us?

_delice_doluca_
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Default [Q] Questions before buying G Pad

Hello,

I have a very limited history with tablets. Only Tegra 2 ones and those were bad days. I do know that Android tablets don't share the attention Android phones have. Still I am looking for a fully and easily customisable and community-friendly tablet as a Nexus 4 user.

First of all Nexus 7 and 10 are not an option in my country. Adding that I hate Samsung this leaves me thinking (actually considering, because I did not even know that G Pad existed) G Pad 8.3 which has a very elegant look and affordable price.

But I have questions; So please help me out with them..

1) Is there OTG support for 2.5" hard drives?

2) Like I said, I am a Nexus 4 user. I have withnessed Note 2's aging before it and it killed me because hardware was there to save the day but Samsung let it die slowly. I also have withnessed Galaxy Nexus's survival throught developers due to its open coded nature. How is the openness in LG world? And how is the software support and community? I don't expect a Nexus 7 easiness but still, some G2, Z1 level customisable-ness and openness would be awesome..

3) Since we mentioned G2, how long do you thing the chipset will survive? Even G2 has S800 (don't mind the CPU but the Adreno 330) but this tablet S600 with Adreno 320. I guess this is a faster and 32 pipeline version of a regular Adreno 320 which comes with S4 Pro right? What do you think for its gaming future? (having Galaxy S4 and 2013 Nexus 7 on board with same or slower GPUs out there makes me think that G Pad 8.3 will survive another 1.5-2 years with ease but I am not sure)

4) How is AOSP? I think there is GPE version but could we easily switch to an AOSP based ROM? How about ROMs like Omni or PA or any other famous and multi-device-supporting ones?

5) Are there any chronical problems? Where should I pay attention before buying?

6) How is the battery time and screen quality?

7) I know I said I hate Samsung but I am going to buy 2 of them (One for my company) and I can find Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro for an additional 100 Dollars (Lg is 400, Samsung with no Wi-Fi is 500). Considering these questions above would you tell which one is better? Samsung has a better GPU but also has twice many pixels to push out. Especially the GPU is scaring me, GPUs are the only reason I had to change a device-including laptops- in my mobile world experience so far..

8) What are your opinions? Is there any regrets? Or anyone saying "I should have gone for other tablet"?

Thank you for reading this long writing And for the answers of course..

Planterz
Old
(Last edited by Planterz; 12th May 2014 at 09:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by _delice_doluca_ View Post
Hello,

I have a very limited history with tablets. Only Tegra 2 ones and those were bad days. I do know that Android tablets don't share the attention Android phones have. Still I am looking for a fully and easily customisable and community-friendly tablet as a Nexus 4 user.

First of all Nexus 7 and 10 are not an option in my country. Adding that I hate Samsung this leaves me thinking (actually considering, because I did not even know that G Pad existed) G Pad 8.3 which has a very elegant look and affordable price.

But I have questions; So please help me out with them..

1) Is there OTG support for 2.5" hard drives?
Don't know. That reminds me, I need to buy an OTG cable.

Quote:
2) Like I said, I am a Nexus 4 user. I have withnessed Note 2's aging before it and it killed me because hardware was there to save the day but Samsung let it die slowly. I also have withnessed Galaxy Nexus's survival throught developers due to its open coded nature. How is the openness in LG world? And how is the software support and community? I don't expect a Nexus 7 easiness but still, some G2, Z1 level customisable-ness and openness would be awesome..
Check out the Dev forum. Recovery and ROMs (CM11, SlimKat, others) are available.

Quote:
3) Since we mentioned G2, how long do you thing the chipset will survive? Even G2 has S800 (don't mind the CPU but the Adreno 330) but this tablet S600 with Adreno 320. I guess this is a faster and 32 pipeline version of a regular Adreno 320 which comes with S4 Pro right? What do you think for its gaming future? (having Galaxy S4 and 2013 Nexus 7 on board with same or slower GPUs out there makes me think that G Pad 8.3 will survive another 1.5-2 years with ease but I am not sure)
I have found the S600 with 2GB RAM sufficient to run games like Asphalt 8, Bladeslinger, and Soulcalibur without issues. Games would have to get crazy-intense to cause problems with this tablet.

Quote:
4) How is AOSP? I think there is GPE version but could we easily switch to an AOSP based ROM? How about ROMs like Omni or PA or any other famous and multi-device-supporting ones?
There is the GPE, but as of yet you can't switch the LG version and the GPE. Can't say anything about ASOP, although there is a ASOK DEV thread. I haven't done any research about this, so I can't say.

Quote:
5) Are there any chronical problems? Where should I pay attention before buying?
None that I'm aware of.

Quote:
6) How is the battery time and screen quality?
Battery life seems fine to me. I think the screen looks great. It's not the brightest when it comes to nits, but in my dim apartment it's plenty bright at 75%, although I keep it at 84%. At work, which is brightly lit by fluorescents, 84% is fine too, but I might crank it up to 100% if I'm watching a video. Outdoor visibility might be an issue, but I don't use mine outdoors, so I can't comment on that.

Quote:
7) I know I said I hate Samsung but I am going to buy 2 of them (One for my company) and I can find Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro for an additional 100 Dollars (Lg is 400, Samsung with no Wi-Fi is 500). Considering these questions above would you tell which one is better? Samsung has a better GPU but also has twice many pixels to push out. Especially the GPU is scaring me, GPUs are the only reason I had to change a device-including laptops- in my mobile world experience so far..
Can't say anything about the 8.4 Pro. It's pretty highly regarded in reviews, but from a dev'mod standpoint, I don't know.

Quote:
8) What are your opinions? Is there any regrets? Or anyone saying "I should have gone for other tablet"?
I love mine. I use it mainly as a media/entertainment device. Some light, casual games, a few intense ones. Web browsing, Youtube, Netflix. And eBooks. What I love most is the size. It's the only tablet I've owned, but I've played around with 7" and 10.1" Androids and iPads, and none of them "fit". The 7" ones had just a wee bit too small of a screen, and the larger ones were too big and heavy, especially one-handed. But the LG 8.3 is the perfect medium. Thanks to the narrow side bezels I can hold it comfortably in hand in portrait, and the wider top/bottom bezels make it great to hold in landscape. Plus it's light and balanced enough to even hold one-handed in landscape.

I got mine for $250USD. The Tab Pro 8.4 is $350-400USD. If the LG 8.3 was only available for $330-350 from major retailers or eBay, the Tab Pro 8.4 would have been a major consideration. But for $250, the LG 8.3 was the clear choice for me. Occasionally it has been even cheaper (but I missed out on those deals). I can't speak for cost/availability in Turkey, but if it's the same in the US, I'd say both tablets are worth the money. The LG was the better choice for me. But if you want the higher-res screen and better hardware, I wouldn't call the Samsung 8.4 a rip-off at the price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Planterz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]