No registration required

[Q] Best Working Set-ups

OP beekersavant

9th May 2014, 09:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

10 posts
So for the newbies (I have been modding Androids for a years now):
What's the set-up you have found to work best? Are there any issues with it?
Here's mine:
Cyanogen 10 (ROM)
KTManta with kttweaker app(kernel)
interactive CPU: 2100/200 GPU:720/100 (Governor)
FIOPs(scheduler)
Notes:I also gave a five volt boost to the CPU steps (but I would do this last thing and only if you need it). Advice from Omnislyfer: I would like to tell you is about the overheat of you device. Our exynos processor it's great, but it has got some problems with temp at higher frequencies. You have overclocked a lot your device, and I think it's an insane thing to do. The main goal of voltage settings are to undervolt the device at stock frequencies, in order to reduce the overheating effects. You have done exactly the opposite: you have OC your device and also you have rises the voltages. So thrust me: from Ktweaker app, load default settings (so max CPU free will be 1700, and 533 for gpu), then subtract at least -50mv to all CPU voltages and -25 gpu voltages. You will not see particular performance loss (our n10 rly doesn't need Overclock) and hoverheat problems will disappear. Thanks Omni, I currently am testing this. Edit: Tested and this is great advice for this kernel. There is still heat issues for cpu intensive apps, but they are slower to manifest. Straight GPU functions (MX player -HW+) do not seem to need the undervolting and may be able to be ramped up. I did not test with any intensive games as it is hard to seperate the processors.

Video player (this is important for Nexus 10's):
MX Player with the custom codec properly installed (it occasionally (1/100 hours) drops the app when streaming video (twitch), but re-opens easily.

Comments to the community: I agree that people should try out everything. However, I recently had to re-root an old phone and run back through a lot of threads to find a stable set-up. This was to even see if I had rooted correctly. On the Nexus 10, the base Cyanogen 10 kernel kind of blows and my device was all sorts of buggy. The purpose of this is to help new modders and share some knowledge about stable set-ups with each other.
Last edited by beekersavant; 30th May 2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Correction/ Advice- Tested
The Following User Says Thank You to beekersavant For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th May 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #2  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 341

753 posts
More
I've ran the gambit of custom ROMs through various versions of Android swearing by one over another but in the end I returned to rooted stock, Franco kernel, XPosed framework with Gravity box. Stability is my driving force and that just seems the most stable without loosing features such as the immersion UI.
Must have apps:
SuperSU
Viper4android
LMT
Nova launcher
Neutron
MX Player

For me other apps fall off in importance but those are the ones I'm taking to a deserted Island.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to 3DSammy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2014, 11:44 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 30

177 posts
And this is my config:
-Purity ROM - - > clean, stable and fast;
-Trinity Kernel - - > extreamly fast, but it leaks some feature (there is No Undervolt);
-ART runtime! - - > you have no idea of the advantages. Everything is faster and great battery life improvements.

About the apps :
-SuperSu;
-Nova launcher;
-Trinity Kernel Toolbox;
-MusicFX

The Following User Says Thank You to OmniSlyfer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th May 2014, 11:17 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Why do you need to know that?
Thanks Meter: 1,122

2,933 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi,

First I think you should give a look at this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2725128. Many people are sharing their configurations there, it may help you .

For me, I'm using CM11, no additional tweaks for kernel or anything else, just CM11 was good enough for me. I can play Dead Trigger 2 without frame drops, listen to FLAC audio in Poweramp without issues and watch heavy videos on MX Player.

Also boot time is ≈20 seconds, so I found this to be my favorite setup .

~Lord

"Time is too short to cry, long enough to try." - March of Time (Helloween)
Sent from my KitKat Nexus 10
The Following User Says Thank You to XxLordxX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread