Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

[Q] How to root my phone

OP Do6ermann

1st May 2014, 09:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Mexico City
Thanks Meter: 8

43 posts
More
Ok, it's not like I didn't had search how to do it, it's just that so far my search has been very frustrating.

First, my phone has stock rom, v. 12.1.A.1.201 with JB 4.3. And I just want to flash a stock rom (maybe a little tweak to make it smooth and faster) + root.

So I searched (maybe not too good) how to do it, and I found this: to install any rom, you need to have an unlocked bootloader, so far so good, but then when you search on how to unlock it, surprise! you need to be root to backup drm keys ... Ok then, I tried another aproach, maybe flashing from custom recovery, but then again to install a custom recovery you need to be rooted ... back to the begining.

So if anyone can enlighten on how to fulfill my very reasonable request, I would be sooo happy.
2nd May 2014, 04:48 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 177

300 posts
No need to unlock bootloader in order to flash stock based ROMs or for rooting. But for flashing custom kernels/ROMs that need a custom kernel, unlocked BL is a must.

There are many guides. Check through this index.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2618222
It's sticky btw

Basically you have to (because you're locked BL),
1. Downgrade to 4.1.2
2. Root with DoomLord method.
3. Install recovery.
4. Flash a pre-rooted 4.3 ROM (.201) through recovery. Flash SuperSU update at the same time. Shutdown phone (NOT reboot).
5. Flash stock 4.3 kernel (.201) via flashtool.
6. Done. On rooted .201. Then install a recovery (because previous recovery got erased with ROM flashing).

#Details in guides. Good one here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2727143

**Optional: Do a TA partition backup and keep it safe. Someday you can unlock the BL
2nd May 2014, 06:18 PM   |  #3  
Flag Selangor
Thanks Meter: 137

422 posts
Donate to Me
More
You can follow mrhnet's post that helped me solve my dilemma! You can downgrade your phone, exploit root, flash recovery, flash SuperSU and then backup TA. Once TA backed up, the freedom is finally yours!

Here's a link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=10
The Following User Says Thank You to TechnoSparks For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th May 2014, 10:52 AM   |  #4  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 3

16 posts
More
Can someone please help me..
I have an Xperia SP currently running 4.1.2 rooted, bootloader locked.
My aim is to upgrade to 4.3.3 and root, for which i will have to unlock the bootloader. To do so I need a TA partition backup , for which again, root is required.
So, my question is that is it okay if I take a TA Backup now [in 4.1.2] and then upgrade OTA and unlock bootloader, root and then restore the 4.1.2 TA backup onto 4.3.3 in order to restore DRM keys and Relock the bootloader?
Has anyone done this?
is it safe?

Sent from my C5302 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Vforvanadium For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th May 2014, 11:17 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 25

68 posts
More
Why don't you install a recovery and after that flash a pre-rooted 201???

Sent from my C5303 using XDA Free mobile app
12th May 2014, 11:18 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 107

643 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vforvanadium

Can someone please help me..
I have an Xperia SP currently running 4.1.2 rooted, bootloader locked.
My aim is to upgrade to 4.3.3 and root, for which i will have to unlock the bootloader. To do so I need a TA partition backup , for which again, root is required.
So, my question is that is it okay if I take a TA Backup now [in 4.1.2] and then upgrade OTA and unlock bootloader, root and then restore the 4.1.2 TA backup onto 4.3.3 in order to restore DRM keys and Relock the bootloader?
Has anyone done this?
is it safe?

You don't have to unlock bootloader. You can flash a prerooted rom with built in 201 stock kernel

Verstuurd vanaf mijn C5303 met Tapatalk
12th May 2014, 11:22 AM   |  #7  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 3

16 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanostray

You don't have to unlock bootloader. You can flash a prerooted rom with built in 201 stock kernel

How ? Link please.

12th May 2014, 11:24 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 107

643 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vforvanadium

How ? Link please.

Just go to the Android development section, and you'll find plenty. You can also choose to flash a stock based rom. I went from 254 to existenz 3.3.0 (which is 201)

12th May 2014, 11:27 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2,156

4,298 posts
For downgrading see my tutorial in link below (flashing with flashtool)
For rooting that 4.1.2 see: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2440375
and for CWM installation see: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2649923

I'd love to see you guys use search a bit more! This question has been asked a lot

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread