Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,979 Members 46,539 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Stick with S5 or get OnePlus One
Maybe 10 12.05%
Nah, I like my S5 better 36 43.37%
I'm getting it just to compare it with my S5 11 13.25%
Yes! Cya Samsung 16 19.28%
Samsung forever! 10 12.05%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

[POLL] Stick with S5 or get OnePlus One?

Tip us?

CrashTestDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 815
The S5 has the best screen I've ever seen on a mobile device but runs only TW roms for now, plus Samsung is ridiculously anti-developer with knox and their giant roms full of crapware. We waited for CM on the Note 3 for 5 months, can't imagine the S5 will be any better. But OPO is vaporware and will remain unseen by 99% of the target market until 805-powered devices are out, so it might as well not exist. Two bad choices so I kept my Note 3 instead.
Now building: BeanStalk for OnePlus One

Ave666
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTestDroid View Post
The S5 has the best screen I've ever seen on a mobile device but runs only TW roms for now, plus Samsung is ridiculously anti-developer with knox and their giant roms full of crapware. We waited for CM on the Note 3 for 5 months, can't imagine the S5 will be any better. But OPO is vaporware and will remain unseen by 99% of the target market until 805-powered devices are out, so it might as well not exist. Two bad choices so I kept my Note 3 instead.
Yeah.. i'm waiting for cm support too but after 2 weeks settled with new tw, i think that's not bad for me having this device. btw, i'm using KK launcher, 8sms messaging and exDialer. close enough to cm with i can still using tw camera and stuff

CZ Eddie
Old
Thanks Meter 936

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTestDroid View Post
We waited for CM on the Note 3 for 5 months, can't imagine the S5 will be any better.
What? Seriously?
CM took 3 months to hit the International Note 3?
Wow that is pretty bad.
It hit the AT&T S4 within a couple weeks or so of launch date.

I have to hope Xposed mod can do some ParanoidAndroid/Pac/Slim type mods to TW or I'll never get another Samsung I think.
TMO Galaxy Note 3 on ATT unlimited data plan

• bri315317's Dynamic Kat 4.4.2 ROM
  • imoseyon's LeanKernel

• Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket
  • Samsung Infuse
  • HTC Inspire

**** Check out my how-to DIY kickstand case!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52585717
**** Visit my XDA thread to help get APT-X High Definition Bluetooth Audio working in AOSP ROM's!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2531440

g8pcw
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Interesting poll. I wonder how many people who've voted on the "Nah. Cya Samsung" option actually own an S5 right now?

Pete

jbonetwo
Old
Thanks Meter 42
the oneplus will (i imagine) have the limitations of cyanogenmod- no carrier video calls (using skype isn't the same) and no fm radio (like anyone cares). this was an acceptable tradeoff for me on the s2/s3 since i personally value customizability more.

one large factor in me preferring cm is that i'm supposed to be stuck on ics on my s3 since samsung didn't feel it necessary to release a jellybean update for my model. even using sammy based roms, i have to stick to jellybean 4.3 when i'd rather be on kitkat. with cm, you will always have the latest android flavour even if you have to wait a month for a stable release.

if you're worried about the storage, thats exactly why it ships in a 64GB format.

if you're worried about waterproofing- well i'm not going to wash my phone with soap like some of the more adventurous s5 users here. and my non-waterproof s2 and s3 have survived being dropped and immersed in water briefly several times. as long as you remove the battery and let it dry out properly, well at least i haven't had any problems.

the hardware on the oneplus is pretty top notch. probably the thing that intrigues me the most is the sony based camera. i always marveled at how 5mp cameras from sony and nokia were soo much better in quality and less grainy than my 8mp s3. the engadget review doesn't seem as promising about this feature as i'd hoped but i'll wait and see on release day if it truly is something you don't have to settle for with samsung.

yes it's cheap and it's a new company and this comes with potential risks. i'm going to wait a couple of months after release to see if there're any serious shortcomings like widespread sds or (non-replaceable) battery death. barring that, this is the first time i've wanted a phone in years, and i can certainly afford the s5 if i wanted it.

of course the oneplus one can be purchased with invite only.

xaznxplaya
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Its really tempting for its price but the invitation system...meh, no idea how long you gotta wait though. It could be good as a secobdary secondary device though

Sent fun my s5 you 'mirin?