Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Note 3, Google Maps, & Arrow Pointer

OP tonyo123

28th April 2014, 04:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17

105 posts
All

I've been having a really annoying issue with my Note 3 and Google Maps: the dot-arrow that shows my position is pointing in the wrong direction. Yes it does track me per the gps location but the issue is that as I am driving instead of the screen moving from up to down, usually along the length-wise direction, it moves at an angle or across. The only option I have is to hit the location button so that I can always have the top be North. That's not as good as having the heading pointing to the location of travel. Now, I calibrated and recalibrated the compass with GPS Status App (turns around the axes and figure eights) which seems to have worked for some, I have restarted numerous times even after turning on/off location-based services. I have cleared the cache and the google maps data. I have reinstalled it. I have even checked the compass versus real settings - seems to be pointing in the right direction. I still have the same issue. This is very frustrating and disorienting when driving. Looks like a crab moving angled to sideways across the screen.

I am on the latest Stock KitKat 4.4.2 version and Maps 7.7.0.

So, does everyone have this issue? Does anyone think is is a unique configuration issue? Is this a google maps issue? Any thoughts on how to fix?

PS...other Map Apps seem work fine (but like to use Google Maps due to the excellent traffic option)
Last edited by tonyo123; 28th April 2014 at 05:07 PM.
28th April 2014, 05:39 PM   |  #2  
Flag Washington, D.C.
Thanks Meter: 92

393 posts
More
If other apps seem fine, it might be Google maps. I don't have that issue, but I use Google maps version 6.14 (the old style with location arrow). The note 3 is notorious for all of its gps issues, but if you have good signal and it doesn't cut out then all I can think of is that GMaps is the culprit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
28th April 2014, 06:17 PM   |  #3  
Flag Cleveland ROCKS!!!
Thanks Meter: 435

1,222 posts
Donate to Me
More
I noticed this issue too! I believe it has to do with being inside a vehicle. The metal may be interfering with the gps signal. If I sit in my car and hold my phone so it points north, the arrow points south. If I open the door and step out (while still pointing north) the arrow magically flips! I can fix it by doing figure 8's in the car, but what a pain!!
28th April 2014, 11:57 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

105 posts
Well, I do agree it is a google maps issue. I wonder if I can install older version to check. It only recently happened to me. I do not think it is an in-car issue because I never had the issue before when I was navigating in the car. Will come back if I can side load an older version of gmaps.

By the way, this issue is all over the internet but none of the foxes suggested seem to work for me.
29th April 2014, 06:36 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

105 posts
No luck in getting it fixed. Did back down to earlier version of 7 but still had the same issue. Driving me nuts.
29th April 2014, 04:08 PM   |  #6  
Flag Duluth, MN
Thanks Meter: 202

701 posts
More
navfree... can preload maps but just uses google search for most things. some things arent great but its getting better. ive had the same issue with google maps. its been super sporadic. not a deal breaker...
1st May 2014, 12:21 AM   |  #7  
Flag So Cal
Thanks Meter: 199

1,204 posts
More
So excited when I started reading this thread, figured someone would have a solution...lol Had this problem ever since my GSII Skyrocket, the gps works great but the direction is always off in my car... Can't understand what the problem is. Done the calibration to no effect... Hopefully someone who knows how to fix will pop in and steer us in the right direction...lol
8th May 2014, 11:36 AM   |  #8  
Flag Istanbul
Thanks Meter: 22

152 posts
More
I'm also waiting for a fix for this..
Ever since 7.0 "update" its been like this. I tried everything but no luck.
I'm using Exynos Note 3.
I was using an HTC EVO 3D when I recieved thr 7.0 update. Before it was fine but after the update even my HTC started doing the arrow pointer bug, and its still happening on my Note 3 even after the yesterdays maps 8.0 update. So I'm thinking this is all Google's fault but nobody is admitting anything.
10th May 2014, 05:54 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
Hit *#0*# , then select sensor, little black compus will have red line in middle on bottom left of screen. Shake phone vigorously, line will turn green..... This will fix that issue;however, if you reboot phone, you will have to do this again.
Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
12th May 2014, 01:23 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 73

1,215 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilowolf666

Hit *#0*# , then select sensor, little black compus will have red line in middle on bottom left of screen. Shake phone vigorously, line will turn green..... This will fix that issue;however, if you reboot phone, you will have to do this again.
Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Any solution that needs to be applied again after a reboot is not a solution at all (nothing against you, just frustrated at no solution).

I have the same issue as the OP, and GPS status app fixed it, but I lose the fix after a reboot. This is unacceptable and I don't think it's just a few of us experiencing this issue.

Could more people post and say whether they have this issue and if not, how they fixed it?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread