Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,836 Members 41,900 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC One X ATT - how do i use mobile hotspot after unlocked bootloader

Tip us?
 
Tuyrante
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: May 2014
Default [Q] HTC One X ATT - how do i use mobile hotspot after unlocked bootloader

Hello! I just finished unlocking my bootloader, and from my understanding I need a ROM in order to use the mobile hotspot? Could anyone walk me through that?
 
timmaaa
Old
(Last edited by timmaaa; 12th May 2014 at 10:31 AM.)
#2  
timmaaa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,310
Posts: 13,273
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Melbourne

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuyrante View Post
Hello! I just finished unlocking my bootloader, and from my understanding I need a ROM in order to use the mobile hotspot? Could anyone walk me through that?
Have you searched our forum at all before creating this thread? The resources here are very good, and all it takes is to look at the stickies. The Evita FAQ thread and the How-To Guide For Beginners thread contain the answers you need.

Sent from my Evita
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!
 
Tuyrante
Old
(Last edited by Tuyrante; 12th May 2014 at 01:56 PM.)
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa View Post
Have you searched our forum at all before creating this thread? The resources here are very good, and all it takes is to look at the stickies. The Evita FAQ thread and the How-To Guide For Beginners thread contain the answers you need.

Sent from my Evita
I might be blind, or I didn't word my searches right, but I couldn't really find any information on what a ROM is, or what I should use for hotspot to work on an AT&T unlocked phone. If they're all the same when it comes to that specific question (i know they're all different), then that would solve the mind boggling question I have.

edit: sorry, i didn't think this would lead me to a simple question to waste space
 
redpoint73
Old
(Last edited by redpoint73; 12th May 2014 at 03:26 PM.)
#4  
redpoint73's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Posts: 6,756
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuyrante View Post
I might be blind, or I didn't word my searches right, but I couldn't really find any information on what a ROM is, or what I should use for hotspot to work on an AT&T unlocked phone. If they're all the same when it comes to that specific question (i know they're all different), then that would solve the mind boggling question I have.

edit: sorry, i didn't think this would lead me to a simple question to waste space
A ROM is simply the operating system (OS) for the phone. When talking about "flashing a ROM" here on XDA to enable certain features, we are typically talking about a "custom" ROM, or one that is modified by the XDA user community. So when you "flash" (install) a custom ROM, you are replacing the stock OS with a custom OS. Also, in your case flashing a stock rooted ROM on any base except AT&T will also enable the WiFi hotspot.

There is also a hack (root required) for enabling WiFi hotspot, but not sure if this works on latest OS version. Personally, I despise the stock AT&T OS, from the gimped functions (not just hotspot, but flashlight, FM radio, and more), network icons, and the ridiculous amount of bloatware. So IMO the solution of installing a custom ROM (or non-AT&T stock rooted) is by far preferred.

Either way, you need to install custom recovery to either root or install custom ROMs. It sounds like you have some basic, fundamental learning to do before doing any of these things to your device. Neglect to do so, can result in permanent damage to your phone. I would second timmaaa's advice and read up the resource threads:

timmaaa's "Noob Friendly Q&A" (sticky to the top of the Q&A forum section for this device)
FAQ (also sticky in Q&A)
My Index thread (sticky to top of General section)
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes