Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] HTC One X ATT - how do i use mobile hotspot after unlocked bootloader

OP Tuyrante

12th May 2014, 09:32 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hello! I just finished unlocking my bootloader, and from my understanding I need a ROM in order to use the mobile hotspot? Could anyone walk me through that?
12th May 2014, 10:36 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 7,517

15,483 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuyrante

Hello! I just finished unlocking my bootloader, and from my understanding I need a ROM in order to use the mobile hotspot? Could anyone walk me through that?

Have you searched our forum at all before creating this thread? The resources here are very good, and all it takes is to look at the stickies. The Evita FAQ thread and the How-To Guide For Beginners thread contain the answers you need.

Sent from my Evita
Last edited by timmaaa; 12th May 2014 at 11:31 AM.
12th May 2014, 02:52 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa

Have you searched our forum at all before creating this thread? The resources here are very good, and all it takes is to look at the stickies. The Evita FAQ thread and the How-To Guide For Beginners thread contain the answers you need.

Sent from my Evita

I might be blind, or I didn't word my searches right, but I couldn't really find any information on what a ROM is, or what I should use for hotspot to work on an AT&T unlocked phone. If they're all the same when it comes to that specific question (i know they're all different), then that would solve the mind boggling question I have.

edit: sorry, i didn't think this would lead me to a simple question to waste space
Last edited by Tuyrante; 12th May 2014 at 02:56 PM.
12th May 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,360

7,739 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuyrante

I might be blind, or I didn't word my searches right, but I couldn't really find any information on what a ROM is, or what I should use for hotspot to work on an AT&T unlocked phone. If they're all the same when it comes to that specific question (i know they're all different), then that would solve the mind boggling question I have.

edit: sorry, i didn't think this would lead me to a simple question to waste space

A ROM is simply the operating system (OS) for the phone. When talking about "flashing a ROM" here on XDA to enable certain features, we are typically talking about a "custom" ROM, or one that is modified by the XDA user community. So when you "flash" (install) a custom ROM, you are replacing the stock OS with a custom OS. Also, in your case flashing a stock rooted ROM on any base except AT&T will also enable the WiFi hotspot.

There is also a hack (root required) for enabling WiFi hotspot, but not sure if this works on latest OS version. Personally, I despise the stock AT&T OS, from the gimped functions (not just hotspot, but flashlight, FM radio, and more), network icons, and the ridiculous amount of bloatware. So IMO the solution of installing a custom ROM (or non-AT&T stock rooted) is by far preferred.

Either way, you need to install custom recovery to either root or install custom ROMs. It sounds like you have some basic, fundamental learning to do before doing any of these things to your device. Neglect to do so, can result in permanent damage to your phone. I would second timmaaa's advice and read up the resource threads:

timmaaa's "Noob Friendly Q&A" (sticky to the top of the Q&A forum section for this device)
FAQ (also sticky in Q&A)
My Index thread (sticky to top of General section)
Last edited by redpoint73; 12th May 2014 at 04:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread