Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,200 Members 40,782 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moving apps to sd with 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4

Tip us?

rushless
Old
(Last edited by rushless; 8th May 2014 at 07:48 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 271
Default Moving apps to sd with 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4

I was curious how much of an app moves with versions besides 4.2. I "moved" Asphalt 8, Conduit, MC4, NOVA 3 and Vice City in app management. The total actual size of the apps is 8.3GB, but the actual amount moved to SD was 340MB. It only moves what is defined as "data" in the apps and that is all their was (very very tiny).

I appreciate that is what it is with previous apps2sd, but was hoping the Nvidia method was something more (else why the fuss about it?). As stands, I see little if any value with apps to sd since an average of 4% actually moves to sd. Seems pointless and silly really. Games are the main space takers and not much moves.

Mod, this thread should have been posted in Q&A. Sorry

twistedumbrella
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6211

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushless View Post
I was curious how much of an app moves with versions besides 4.2. I "moved" Asphalt 8, Conduit, MC4, NOVA 3 and Vice City in app management. The total actual size of the apps is 8.3GB, but the actual amount moved to SD was 340MB. It only moves what is defined as "data" in the apps and that is all their was (very very tiny).

I appreciate that is what it is with previous apps2sd, but was hoping the Nvidia method was something more (else why the fuss about it?). As stands, I see little if any value with apps to sd since an average of 4% actually moves to sd. Seems pointless and silly really. Games are the main space takers and not much moves.

Mod, this thread should have been posted in Q&A. Sorry

It moves what can be detached without breaking the app. Games usually have their excess installed to the sdcard already so it is only small portions of the apps that can be.

You have a decent amount of internal storage, but if you really need more, there is always the symlink partition method.

rushless
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedumbrella View Post
It moves what can be detached without breaking the app. Games usually have their excess installed to the sdcard already so it is only small portions of the apps that can be.

You have a decent amount of internal storage, but if you really need more, there is always the symlink partition method.
Symlink can create problems along with helping with this. I was just curious why some make such a big deal about apps2sd with this and other devices when it moves virtually nothing. The apps it can move are not the apps causing the main space issues in the first place. Ironic, since the function of what is actually moved defeats the intended purpose and is the inverse of what should be moved.

twistedumbrella
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6211

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushless View Post
Symlink can create problems along with helping with this. I was just curious why some make such a big deal about apps2sd with this and other devices when it moves virtually nothing. The apps it can move are not the apps causing the main space issues in the first place. Ironic, since the function of what is actually moved defeats the intended purpose and is the inverse of what should be moved.

I confused a blog post for a question.

bluecarbon
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Moved 849mb for conduit alone on my shield. It moves the bulk of large games, the obb files, on mine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

rushless
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedumbrella View Post
I confused a blog post for a question.
A post & question. I wanted to know if 4.3 and 4.4 transfers more than the miniscule amount 4.2 does (same way other devices do as well). No point in ti if it is the same as 4.2.

rushless
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarbon View Post
Moved 849mb for conduit alone on my shield. It moves the bulk of large games, the obb files, on mine.

Are you using 4.3 or 4.4? Conduit only moves a few megs with 4.2.

Thanks

bluecarbon
Old
Thanks Meter 78
4.4, but I moved it on 4.3 too.

---------- Post added at 02:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

I didn't get mine until late February, so I didn't try anything on 4.2, but it has saved me a great deal of space. My 32gb card is almost maxed out.

twistedumbrella
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6211

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarbon View Post
4.4, but I moved it on 4.3 too.

---------- Post added at 02:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

I didn't get mine until late February, so I didn't try anything on 4.2, but it has saved me a great deal of space. My 32gb card is almost maxed out.

What is really needed is an option to pick which external it uses for stuff like this. Ideally, the app chunks should go to the built in external, leaving the card for user external files and game obb archives. It is like you only get to use one or the other (unless an app specifies) how it is currently laid out.

bluecarbon
Old
Thanks Meter 78
I didn't realize that more than the obb files were being moved, but that would make sense as the apps on the external SD aren't available at all if the SD isn't mounted, however, I'm going off of memory, so I may be wrong. If only the obb was moved the app would still be visible. I guess, one could use something like folder mount, if it still works on KitKat (haven't used it in a while).