[Q] Android vs iOS security AFTER theft

12th May 2014, 01:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

50 posts
Hello,
My S3 mini was stolen and the thief apparently removed the battery or sim as soon as it was stolen. So it came into mind, which is more secure really. iOS or Android. Apparently, for an Android phpne whether the battery is removale or not, the thief can simply remove the SIM or just shut it down without even knowing the screen pass lock. Furthermore, if he does the power plus volume down combination, he can easily reset the phone to its factory defaults and even then, my photos - main storage and SD card - will be compromised. So yea, the phone can easily be cut from the internet so the wipe amd locate fucntions would be useless.

However on my iPad, I tried connecting it to a new computer, the photos were not accessible. I even installed iTunes, still the photos were not there. It had to be accessed from an iTunes that has previously backed it up. Traditional methods like wiping and locking and tracking are rednered useless because the thief can easily remove the SIM or simply shut it down without knowing the passlock.

So yea, does that make iOS more safe? Do thieves have access to programs that can bypass the lock screen for iOS or Android. Do they have access to programs that can factory reset iOS without an iTunes with a previous backup?

Am I missing anything? Can the user thighten the securty more by himself other than being careful and copying the photos reguraly. Also I am assuming that the USB debugging is turned off for Android by default.

PS: I do know that There are apps made to combat theft but yea, removing the battery, shutting it down or removing the SIM totally kills all those solutions.
12th May 2014, 01:20 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Themer
Flag Auckland City
Thanks Meter: 1,779

2,259 posts
More
We all know there are apps, but every night I sleep I think of this feature. But I'm not a kernel dev so I don't know how to make it.

Hopefully some kernel dev stumbles across this and can implement it.

There must be a pin lock when you factory reset your device and a toggle which unlocks the device pin for a certain amount of mins then locks so that the recovery wipe isn't reachable until one unlocks it.

But yeah, till now I think apple devices are more secure in terms of when theft applies.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
12th May 2014, 04:28 PM   |  #3  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 47

116 posts
More
i have an option to encrypt the entire phone in the security menu. i do not know if that is a custom rom or an android thing, but i suspect it is the latter.

i do not use that option, though, it makes data recovery more difficult should something go wrong. still, it is there, and if you guys are so security conscious, why not just encrypt the data?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread