Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,073 Members 45,947 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] CM11 WITHOUT root

Tip us?

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3,015
Question [Q] CM11 WITHOUT root

Morning all!

Possibly a silly question but I run 100% stock because of one app that will not work when rooted - Sky Go (a UK video streaming app). There is nothing that has got it to work when rooted so I've not bothered. I don't even need root access these days. BUT I'd like to give CM11 a go and I was wondering if you can turn off the root access in the ROM and then use a stock kernel and it would still boot/run?

If not, not to worry but seeing as CM11S does't have root it'd be nice to see the same available for other phones and not just the OnePlus One
Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

otariq
Old
Thanks Meter 123
I guess you could run the super su zip in recovery and then full unroot it through the app. Not sure if you'll run into any issues in cm without root, never tried it before

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

EddyOS
Old
Thanks Meter 3,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by otariq View Post
I guess you could run the super su zip in recovery and then full unroot it through the app. Not sure if you'll run into any issues in cm without root, never tried it before

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
Kinda what I was thinking, it's the kernel I'm more worried about as that needs to be a secure kernel otherwise the app won't work

Might just have to give it a try...
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

grentuu
Old
Thanks Meter 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
Kinda what I was thinking, it's the kernel I'm more worried about as that needs to be a secure kernel otherwise the app won't work

Might just have to give it a try...
I take it root cloak doesn't work?

I UPGRADED TO A 5GHZ CABLE HUB FOR THIS???

IF I DON'T HELP YOU, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A TOSS. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.
IF I DO, PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON.

EddyOS
Old
Thanks Meter 3,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by grentuu View Post
I take it root cloak doesn't work?
No, otherwise I would've used it

http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.devadvance.rootcloak

App: Sky Go - BSkyB - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.bskyb.skygo
Method: Most likely detects root via native library (built with Android NDK). Unsure of exact method, but the Java portion of the app contains "VGDRM_STATUS_DEVICE_IS_ROOTED = -41942891", and based on the library name, it's a safe bet.
Relevant Files: libvgc.so

StuMcBill
Old
Thanks Meter 101
I think Sky Go looks for more than root doesn't it? I think it looks at kernel and software version also, so if you are running anything "custom" it instantly thinks you are rooted.

I just set up a separate rom on my Nexus 7 (Using multirom) for this exact reason.

Sent from my Amiga 500 using Workbench
HTC One M8 : ARHD 8.1
Asus Nexus 7 (2013) - 32Gb : ParanoidAndroid & Stock 4.4.2 using MultiRom