Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,005 Members 49,129 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it worth unlocking bootloader?

Tip us?

Jonas740
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Pre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Where did sony say that?

Because on Sonys official site it says this
http://prntscr.com/3g3e61
taken from here
http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/
Pre 4.3 this was the fact. Camera ceased to work and other functions aswell. The DRM keys did matter there. The tech guy from Sony also confirmed this.

Kitkat version though this is all fixed. And like he said to quote him "Nothing will change software wise with just unlocking a bootloader under Kitkat, aslong as you dont flash custom roms ofc."

So to translate this: The DRM keys aint used in KitKat. And it is very easy to confirm this yourself. Google the functions that people say will stop to work with no DRM keys. None of thoose has stopped to work with unlocked bootloader for me on KitKat 4.4.2.

And for the camera, the camera working worse under KitKat as you also can google and find information about. Unlocked as Locked doesent matter, and this is possibly one of the reasons why ppl still think, Bionz, X-Reality and other functions stop to work with unlocked bootloader.

But is it worth it? Well that is up for anyone to decide for themselves. Since KitKat, the phone aint working so well anyway imo. So if it would die on me i wouldnt care. I will probably not buy Sony in future though, they used to be good but something has happened.
OnePlus One Black Sandstone edition 64gb - Stock
Xperia Z1 - Stock kernel - .108 - Unlocked Bootloader - Rooted - Has itīs own life
Xperia V - New display and working like a charm.

thiagomed
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default For real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclyptos View Post
We know that unfortunately.

When you relock it will be back to stock. So I guess you will not lose anything.
Are you sure about that? Cus I do not unlock my bootloader yet because R$1500,00 is much money for avoid warranty in first days of use! LOL!
If it's true, i'll unlock and relock later..

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagomed View Post
Are you sure about that? Cus I do not unlock my bootloader yet because R$1500,00 is much money for avoid warranty in first days of use! LOL!
If it's true, i'll unlock and relock later..
Positive.
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4

thiagomed
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Unlocking bootloader in 1 2 3...

xXFlippyXx
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Now I'm curious:

How, where or why are custom ROMS faster than stock ROMS?

I really can't complain about the speed of my stock. I haven't unlocked my bl yet (no need for) but I doubt you'd see much difference in speed between stock und cfw.

It was different on my sxs. Latest aosp or fxp was definitely more fluid but the z1 is a powerhouse.

Sent from Xperia Z1

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFlippyXx View Post
Now I'm curious:

How, where or why are custom ROMS faster than stock ROMS?
Nobody said they are more faster, they are tweeked but at the moment on Z1 they are in development so before see a wonderfull stable Custom Roms you have to wait.

BTW, many Custom Roms are based on Stock Kernel so you will never see any difference. The heart of the tweekness and fastness on Android it's the Kernel, it's the main reason.
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4

HannibalSmith12
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyongrand View Post
I have C6903 .757 rooted using [NUT] way, is it worth to unlock my bootloader now, what I can get and what I will lost? beside thatis there any custom rom that better than stock rom for now?
You can install CyanogenMod if your bootloader is unlocked. If you do that you will lose all your data and warranty but I think its worth it. You will have more control over your phone (privacy settings etc) and much more.
If you want to do that you should do a nandroid backup before and most important a TA backup. TA backup is for relock the bootloader if necessary (so you have warranty again). You can find TA backup tool in this forum, just search for it.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

xxxstar123
Old
Thanks Meter 9
If miui 5 release for our z1 it will not nedded to unlock bootloader also still not worth it because no rom after miui

Also how did you rooted 754

Phones on use:
SONY Z:
Model NU. :C6602
ROM: STOCK Rooted
Kernel: DoomLoord v6

SONY ACRO S:
Model NU. : LT26w
ROM: CM10 FXP

Previous PHONES:
Device: Motorola Razr GSM (XT910) *Samsung Galaxy s3 (I9300) *Samsung Galaxy s2 (I9100) *Samsung Galaxy s1 (I9003)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic4246519_2.gif

HannibalSmith12
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxstar123 View Post
Also how did you rooted 754
You need to downgrade to other version (for example .257), then root this and do update to the new version. Then you will have 754 with root.

BLiapis
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Unlocking the BL is for rom development mainly. You will be able to load CM11, but so what. The stock rom is excellent for most people and its nowdays to tweak the interface in so many ways its silly.
Current devices:
--------------------------

Xperia Z1, Xperia L, HTC Touch Cruise, MIO P550.