Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,166 Members 45,751 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Trying to install latest update - Software Update crashes when I try to open it

Tip us?

arcooke
Old
(Last edited by arcooke; 12th May 2014 at 03:42 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Trying to install latest update - Software Update crashes when I try to open it

My phone was rooted with hotspotprovision hack. LINK

I'm trying to install the 4.4.2 update that was released a few months ago and the installation errored out with 0x1111004. I found from another thread (LINK) it's because my mobile hotspot was modded.

So I followed the instructions on that thread and restored the original hotspot app, rebooted my phone. Now when I go to update (Settings > About Phone > Software Update) the updater app crashes the moment I try to open it.

After doing this, I realized the files the guy in that thread linked to were the incorrect files. When I originally modded my hotspot app, I replaced the HotspotProvision.apk. That post linked me to backup files for MobileHotspot.apk/.odex. After realizing this, I put my MobileHotspot originals back in the /system/app directory (thankfully I backed them up before making any changes).

So I'm currently back to where I started this morning before I messed with anything - rooted with my modded hotspotprovision. However - the system update app is still crashing.

Any idea what I can do from here? The update should already be downloaded to my phone, is there any way I can easy launch the update file, and see if that might fix it?

EDIT - Uh oh. I did a factory reset and the software update app is still crashing. Not good..

HueyT
Old
Thanks Meter 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcooke View Post
My phone was rooted with hotspotprovision hack. LINK

I'm trying to install the 4.4.2 update that was released a few months ago and the installation errored out with 0x1111004. I found from another thread (LINK) it's because my mobile hotspot was modded.

So I followed the instructions on that thread and restored the original hotspot app, rebooted my phone. Now when I go to update (Settings > About Phone > Software Update) the updater app crashes the moment I try to open it.

After doing this, I realized the files the guy in that thread linked to were the incorrect files. When I originally modded my hotspot app, I replaced the HotspotProvision.apk. That post linked me to backup files for MobileHotspot.apk/.odex. After realizing this, I put my MobileHotspot originals back in the /system/app directory (thankfully I backed them up before making any changes).

So I'm currently back to where I started this morning before I messed with anything - rooted with my modded hotspotprovision. However - the system update app is still crashing.

Any idea what I can do from here? The update should already be downloaded to my phone, is there any way I can easy launch the update file, and see if that might fix it?

EDIT - Uh oh. I did a factory reset and the software update app is still crashing. Not good..
Try to use XDABBEB's way to get to 24A as it'll allow you to 1) Hotspot, 2) install any 24A compatible ROMS, 3) excellent camera mods, 4) great battery life due to Linaro kernel, 5) fix "download mode" to allow KDZ back to stock in future in case you want to return phone.

Alternatively, you could KDZ back to 24A stock, root with IOROOT25, and then install recovery with AUTOREC by Cloudyfa and start over (allowing you to install any 24A compatible roms with Malladus and XDABBEB's roms having hotspot hack builtin)
The Following User Says Thank You to HueyT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

arcooke
Old
(Last edited by arcooke; 12th May 2014 at 03:52 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyT View Post
Try to use XDABBEB's way to get to 24A as it'll allow you to 1) Hotspot, 2) install any 24A compatible ROMS, 3) excellent camera mods, 4) great battery life due to Linaro kernel

Alternatively, you could KDZ back to 24A stock, root with IOROOT25, and then install recovery with AUTOREC by Cloudyfa and start over.
Shouldn't a factory reset have put me back to stock? I'm wondering if there's just a corrupt update file or something.. and that's what's causing my system updater to crash. Any idea where the update files are stored when the system downloads them?

HueyT
Old
Thanks Meter 361
Quote:
Shouldn't a factory reset have put me back to stock?
Nope, factory reset only delete your data so "SYSTEM" and other partitions won't be fixed.

Lawlrus
Old
Thanks Meter 1,817
This thread belongs in Q&A not development.

As Huey stated, use the lg flash tool and either tot back to 12b then take the OTA, or just use the 24a kdz to go strait to 24a.

Sent from my Vs980

arcooke
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyT View Post
Nope, factory reset only delete your data so "SYSTEM" and other partitions won't be fixed.
Well crap.

Is there any difference between flashing the stock rom that my phone shipped with (VS98012B) and then running OTA update, versus flashing the 24A rom?

fordmanck
Old
Thanks Meter 301
Quote:
Well crap.

Is there any difference between flashing the stock rom that my phone shipped with (VS98012B) and then running OTA update, versus flashing the 24A rom?
Try flashing 24a first, if it doesn't work you can always factory restore.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Verizon LG - G2
Recovery: TWRP
ROM: AICP 4.4.4

Nexus 7 - 1st Gen
Recovery: TWRP
ROM: CM11

mjones73
Old
Thanks Meter 787

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Well crap.

No.
Matt
LG G2 - VS980 - XDABBEB's VS980 v2.1.0
HTC Rezound - S-Off - Retired