[Q] :( Kitkat update via Kies soft-bricks my phone. What to do?

Search This thread

sugoisooshee

Apr 14, 2014
Hey guys, I'm a novice and I am very distressed at the moment. What should I do? Here's my full story:

About 5 months ago (December 23 2013), I bought a Galaxy Note 3 N900W8 Rogers from eBay (No warranty included. Yep not smart). After having received my phone in the mail, I proceeded to root it and install CWM recovery successfully. Until yesterday (May 11 2014), all was going fine till I decided to try and update my phone to Android 4.4.2. I couldn't get updates OTA since it kept telling me my phone was modified. So I plugged my phone to my computer and opened up Kies and apparently Kies was able to fetch an update for my phone. I started updating and came back later seeing that my phone was stuck on the logo screen "Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3" with the "Recovery Booting" in blue in the top left corner. I knew that after I updated my phone would be unrooted and CWM would be gone too so I decided to install those since I wasn't booted into Android yet. After rooting and installing CWM, I restarted several times but it wouldn't boot. I went into Recovery Mode and I did a factory reset and wiped cache. I restarted again but nothing, still stuck on the Logo screen. I am still able to go into download mode and recovery mode. I should have read the cautions of updating since once you update to 4.4.2, there's no going back.

Please help, I don't know what to do at this moment. Thanks in advance!

My phone is also unlocked. I also had a backup but I didn't know the update would format the memory of my phone so I lost everything.

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Hey guys, I'm a novice and I am very distressed at the moment. What should I do? Here's my full story:

About 5 months ago (December 23 2013), I bought a Galaxy Note 3 N900W8 Rogers from eBay (No warranty included. Yep not smart). After having received my phone in the mail, I proceeded to root it and install CWM recovery successfully. Until yesterday (May 11 2014), all was going fine till I decided to try and update my phone to Android 4.4.2. I couldn't get updates OTA since it kept telling me my phone was modified. So I plugged my phone to my computer and opened up Kies and apparently Kies was able to fetch an update for my phone. I started updating and came back later seeing that my phone was stuck on the logo screen "Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3" with the "Recovery Booting" in blue in the top left corner. I knew that after I updated my phone would be unrooted and CWM would be gone too so I decided to install those since I wasn't booted into Android yet. After rooting and installing CWM, I restarted several times but it wouldn't boot. I went into Recovery Mode and I did a factory reset and wiped cache. I restarted again but nothing, still stuck on the Logo screen. I am still able to go into download mode and recovery mode. I should have read the cautions of updating since once you update to 4.4.2, there's no going back.

Please help, I don't know what to do at this moment. Thanks in advance!

My phone is also unlocked. I also had a backup but I didn't know the update would format the memory of my phone so I lost everything.

Get the full firmware for your phone and install it with Odin (in download mode). Also read around the main threads on the N900W8.