Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Unsolvable ADB error Windows 7

OP elesbb

11th May 2014, 12:45 AM   |  #1  
elesbb's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,441
 
6,900 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
I have looked everywhere, spent countless hours and days trying to find a PERMANENT solution for this. Only solution i could find was to use TaskManager and kill adb process. Not a permanent solution. As the same error will come back.

This is the error. Nothing causes it, just happens randomly with any device im using.

Code:
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
ADB server didn't ACK
* failed to start daemon *
error: cannot connect to daemon
Thanks guys. A permanent solution would be awesome. I'm tired of this..
11th May 2014, 04:56 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,219
 
336 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

This is the error. Nothing causes it, just happens randomly with any device im using.

Code:
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
ADB server didn't ACK
* failed to start daemon *
error: cannot connect to daemon
A permanent solution would be awesome. I'm tired of this..

First, the obvious: have you tried different USB cables and different USB ports on your machine? (I'll assume the answer is "yes").

Now, the more likely: get a copy of USBDeview and use it to remove all copies of your ADB USB drivers. In case you're not familiar with it, this util will list every USB driver installed on your machine and (among other things) will let you delete the ones you don't want. If you've been using your current setup for a while, you'll be appalled at the cruft that's built up. Be aware that there are separate 32 and 64-bit versions, so get the one appropriate for your system.

The ADB driver(s) may be identified as "Android ADB Interface" or any of several other names. You'll see entries for various USB Vendor and Product IDs, with at least one entry for each Android device you've connected. The one thing all of the relevant entries will have in common are the values in the columns labeled USB Class, USB Subclass, and USB Protocol. Those values are ff, 42, and 01, respectively.

Sort the list by Class to group them, then uninstall all of them. When you're done, reboot. You may want to reopen the util to confirm they're really gone. Finally, attach each device in turn and let the New Hardware Wizard walk you through reinstalling the driver (which means, of course, that you'll want to have your driver packages ready before you go deleting anything).

Note: there's really only one driver (i.e. binary) for all devices. The difference in the packages is their .INF files, each of which usually only identifies Vendor and Product IDs for a single manufacturer. If you know those values for each device, you can edit the .INF file for one and add all your devices to make a one-size-fits all package (be sure to add each entry under both the 32-bit and 64-bit headings in the file). You'll still have to reinstall for each device but you won't need multiple packages to do it.
Last edited by dolorespark; 11th May 2014 at 05:01 AM.
11th May 2014, 08:00 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 586
 
3,084 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
More
adb kill-server

adb start-server

Should get you back on track.
11th May 2014, 11:46 PM   |  #4  
elesbb's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,441
 
6,900 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s

adb kill-server

adb start-server

Should get you back on track.

No.. you're wrong.





Quote:
Originally Posted by dolorespark

First, the obvious: have you tried different USB cables and different USB ports on your machine? (I'll assume the answer is "yes").

Now, the more likely: get a copy of USBDeview and use it to remove all copies of your ADB USB drivers. In case you're not familiar with it, this util will list every USB driver installed on your machine and (among other things) will let you delete the ones you don't want. If you've been using your current setup for a while, you'll be appalled at the cruft that's built up. Be aware that there are separate 32 and 64-bit versions, so get the one appropriate for your system.

The ADB driver(s) may be identified as "Android ADB Interface" or any of several other names. You'll see entries for various USB Vendor and Product IDs, with at least one entry for each Android device you've connected. The one thing all of the relevant entries will have in common are the values in the columns labeled USB Class, USB Subclass, and USB Protocol. Those values are ff, 42, and 01, respectively.

Sort the list by Class to group them, then uninstall all of them. When you're done, reboot. You may want to reopen the util to confirm they're really gone. Finally, attach each device in turn and let the New Hardware Wizard walk you through reinstalling the driver (which means, of course, that you'll want to have your driver packages ready before you go deleting anything).

Note: there's really only one driver (i.e. binary) for all devices. The difference in the packages is their .INF files, each of which usually only identifies Vendor and Product IDs for a single manufacturer. If you know those values for each device, you can edit the .INF file for one and add all your devices to make a one-size-fits all package (be sure to add each entry under both the 32-bit and 64-bit headings in the file). You'll still have to reinstall for each device but you won't need multiple packages to do it.

I thank you a million! This looks promising! I did notice like 20 different adb devices installed. So far it's been good hopefully it stays that way!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
12th May 2014, 12:00 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 586
 
3,084 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
More
Yea, sorry, that is the temp solution, not a permanent one.
12th May 2014, 03:40 AM   |  #6  
elesbb's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,441
 
6,900 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s

Yea, sorry, that is the temp solution, not a permanent one.

Not only that, but it's not even a temp solution. How can I or anyone kill a server you can't connect to?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
12th May 2014, 05:04 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 586
 
3,084 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

Not only that, but it's not even a temp solution. How can I or anyone kill a server you can't connect to?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Oh. I see you don't understand the commands. You said that you had to continue to go to the Task Manager to kill the process and then you would restart it. That's what those commands do, without taking that step. I've solved this issue before with doing that, though it's never been an ongoing thing, so haven't had to deal with making it permanent. Guess we have a different idea of what wrong is...
12th May 2014, 10:44 AM   |  #8  
elesbb's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,441
 
6,900 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s

Oh. I see you don't understand the commands. You said that you had to continue to go to the Task Manager to kill the process and then you would restart it. That's what those commands do, without taking that step. I've solved this issue before with doing that, though it's never been an ongoing thing, so haven't had to deal with making it permanent. Guess we have a different idea of what wrong is...

What I'm saying is, running adb kill server wouldn't do anything because it can't connect to the adb server daemon due to that error I was receiving. After running adb kill server then running adb start server I would still get that same exact error. Which makes sense because it can't connect to the server so therefore is unable to kill it making task manager the only way of killing the server.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
12th May 2014, 06:35 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 586
 
3,084 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

What I'm saying is, running adb kill server wouldn't do anything because it can't connect to the adb server daemon due to that error I was receiving. After running adb kill server then running adb start server I would still get that same exact error. Which makes sense because it can't connect to the server so therefore is unable to kill it making task manager the only way of killing the server.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

What I'm saying is that command is specifically for that issue, because the adb server is not starting correctly because it's kind of stuck. If the server wasn't on at all, it wouldn't be listed in the Task Manager, right? I've had this issue multiple times before on various devices, and that's what got it to come back on and connect again. I literally do this stuff for a living and have modded 100s of devices. Weird things pop up like this all the time and it's not always the same solution for everyone or every device.

start-server Checks whether the adb server process is running and starts it, if not.
kill-server Terminates the adb server process (which the Task Manager also does, but this is the command for it)

So yea, my solution didn't work for you, but it is a solution for this issue. Been there. Done that. Probably will have to do it again some day.
12th May 2014, 09:37 PM   |  #10  
elesbb's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,441
 
6,900 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s

What I'm saying is that command is specifically for that issue, because the adb server is not starting correctly because it's kind of stuck. If the server wasn't on at all, it wouldn't be listed in the Task Manager, right? I've had this issue multiple times before on various devices, and that's what got it to come back on and connect again. I literally do this stuff for a living and have modded 100s of devices. Weird things pop up like this all the time and it's not always the same solution for everyone or every device.

start-server Checks whether the adb server process is running and starts it, if not.
kill-server Terminates the adb server process (which the Task Manager also does, but this is the command for it)

So yea, my solution didn't work for you, but it is a solution for this issue. Been there. Done that. Probably will have to do it again some day.

I understand that this solution may work for a temporary issue. I myself us it all the time when I can't see a device or something. But what im trying to say is the error says "server didn't ACK" in my searching of this error, ACK means acknowledge. Therefore communication with the server fails. So sending the server a kill command fails as well. See what i mean?

Lets just hope the other guys method works. Was surprised to see about 12 or so ADB devices when i only have 3

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes