Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Recessed Power Button

OP goodpenguin

6th May 2014, 12:34 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

47 posts
Have any of you have recessed power button? I replaced my Z2 due to the gap issue on the upper right and the supplier replaced it, the new unit doesn't have the gap issue but the power button is slightly recessed compared to the old Z2. I accepeted the unit but should I be concerned about the power button?

The unit was imported from Taiwan and is it normal that no default songs, images and spiderman trailer are present with a new unit? My unit with the gap issue has the songs, images and spiderman trailer but the new unit don't have unless the supplier did a factory reset.
6th May 2014, 03:32 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 193

1,211 posts
More
Now you've mentioned it my power button seems to be recessed compared to my friends Xperia M. Not sure if this is the way it is supposed to be as I have no one with a Z2 to compare with.

There is hardly any button there to press with my thumb so have to use my nail.

No big issue though as I use double tap to wake and screen widget to put the phone to sleep.

Anyway I think they would laugh at me if I went to the store to try and exchange because of a recessed power button!!!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
6th May 2014, 05:27 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

47 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kersey

Now you've mentioned it my power button seems to be recessed compared to my friends Xperia M. Not sure if this is the way it is supposed to be as I have no one with a Z2 to compare with.

There is hardly any button there to press with my thumb so have to use my nail.

No big issue though as I use double tap to wake and screen widget to put the phone to sleep.

Anyway I think they would laugh at me if I went to the store to try and exchange because of a recessed power button!!!

I hope this is a minor issue but I think this is better than the gap issue. I can still press the button with my thumb, I just hope it won't recess further. My supplier also felt the difference when I showed him both units, of course I don't expect him to know the answer so I just took the new unit. I also use double tap to wake, but which widget shuts down the screen?

I don't think they will laugh at you because the power button of the Xperia lines feels good to press. It so happens our phones are still one of those with QA issues. But I hope they can fix it in case it worsens.
6th May 2014, 05:35 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 193

1,211 posts
More
This is the widget I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ckscreenwidget

After looking at some images online it looks as if my button is as it should be. The part you press down is in line with the up part of the volume button. The button doesn't seem as pronounced as on other Xperia phones so am not sure if it is really an issue

6th May 2014, 05:58 PM   |  #5  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 188

1,563 posts
More
The power buttons on all Sony phones with this type button are poorly functioning marketing gimmicks. My ZL power button fell out and Sony wouldn't warranty based on "physical damage". Give me the old power button on top any day and thankfully we now have tap to wake.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
6th May 2014, 06:54 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

47 posts
For me it's a slight issue as the power button should be more tactile like the previous Z series and Sony should address this issue in case it blows out of proportion again. I also compared two Z2 units as well so it's not a normal thing. But your lock widget suggestion works well so we have a backup solution.

Oh, is there a way to share contact information aside from copy paste to sms? I got spoiled by the contact management of Samsung.
13th May 2014, 12:35 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 3

16 posts
I received my z2 today and I also have this issue.
I have to press the power button so hard to switch on/off that my index finger is aching now. (better if I use my nail to press.)

is this a normal on z2?

Can you pls let me know if your z2's power button is hard to press? I mean when you press, no feeling of press/click.

I know I can use tap to wake, but I expect and want it to be perfect after spending so much money.

Should I send it back or live with it?

Thank you in advance.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread