Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 47,905 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Mobile Hotspot TetheringProvision.apk Modification Isn't Working

Tip us?

TaylarRoids
Old
(Last edited by TaylarRoids; 12th May 2014 at 12:22 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Mobile Hotspot TetheringProvision.apk Modification Isn't Working

First off, hi everyone. This is my first post here after browsing for a few weeks. Yesterday I went ahead and rooted my AT&T s4 with the whole reason for doing so wanting to use wireless hotspot for free, and it isn't working.

Tl;dr I tried the TetheringProvision.apk mod technique and it just crashes my settings menu.

Full story:
After softbricking my phone and having to bring it into att 2 days ago I finally figured out a method of rooting it. I got this phone very recently and it came with the 4.4.2 (NB1) update pre-installed. I used the downgrade/root/safestrap method (using the OTA zip method because the stock with root zip wouldn't get past the att splash screen) and am back on 4.4.2/NB1. Everything is working, root included (verified by successfully changing system file names), but when I try to put in the TetheringProvision.apk file that used to work for the hotspot on my old MK2 phone from some other thread on this forum it just crashes my settings menu. The error I get is a "settings has stopped" popup and it kicks me out right when I move the "mobile hotspot on" slider. I'm really hoping there's a simple solution here, but if worst comes to worst I guess I'll just have to try a different rom? Attached is a screen shot of my about device. I really hope someone will be able to help, thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-12-04-08-54.png
Views:	34
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	2739405  

TaylarRoids
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ok, so I'm now thinking about backing up this rom in safestrap, and re-flashing the backup I made of the MK2 downgrade that I used to install the root. The problem with that was the wifi not working, but I just found a post about bypasslkm. Only problem is that I don't fully understand how to use bypasslkm and even through search I can't find a good guide on it. Could anyone here walk me through the dumbed down version of how to use it? From what I understand I flash the bypasslkm.zip just like I would any other rom, but I don't really get what to do after that. I'm kind of surprised that I'm the first one to have either of these issues, I couldn't find any good information via search.

muniz_ri
Old
Thanks Meter 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylarRoids View Post
First off, hi everyone. This is my first post here after browsing for a few weeks. Yesterday I went ahead and rooted my AT&T s4 with the whole reason for doing so wanting to use wireless hotspot for free, and it isn't working.

Tl;dr I tried the TetheringProvision.apk mod technique and it just crashes my settings menu.

Full story:
After softbricking my phone and having to bring it into att 2 days ago I finally figured out a method of rooting it. I got this phone very recently and it came with the 4.4.2 (NB1) update pre-installed. I used the downgrade/root/safestrap method (using the OTA zip method because the stock with root zip wouldn't get past the att splash screen) and am back on 4.4.2/NB1. Everything is working, root included (verified by successfully changing system file names), but when I try to put in the TetheringProvision.apk file that used to work for the hotspot on my old MK2 phone from some other thread on this forum it just crashes my settings menu. The error I get is a "settings has stopped" popup and it kicks me out right when I move the "mobile hotspot on" slider. I'm really hoping there's a simple solution here, but if worst comes to worst I guess I'll just have to try a different rom? Attached is a screen shot of my about device. I really hope someone will be able to help, thanks in advance.
There is a tethering AddOn in the same NB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM & NB1 KeepRoot OTA zip thread that you can flash in safestrap.