Originally Posted by avivzamir
hi i need some help
(the last htc i had rooted was the desire and since then i only had samsung which is quite easy to root with the odin.)
i have the verizon M8 and since i dont live in the us i don't have any need for all the bloatware that comes with the phone.
id like to root it but i have some questions before
1. first of all can anyone please send me a link to a guide (preferably with pictures ) for rooting?
2. do i need to do an S-off before rooting or is it part of the process?
3. where can i find stock HTC M8 firmware to instal instead of the verizon one?
4. is there a specific version of firmware u recommend ? (i want stock HTC only)
5. if i install stock HTC firmware i should get OTA updates once i install it right?
To obtain root access you will first need to unlock the bootloader. Fortunately, HTC has made this a relatively simple process. Use this tool and follow it's instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2699065
. After unlocking, you can follow it's instruction to obtain root or simply install a ROM from this forum... most all of them come preloaded with root access.
Regarding S-off, you do not need it to unlock/root/install ROMS. There are a few mods that require S-off but they aren't necessary.
When you say stock firmware, do you mean AOSP (aka clean Android)? If so then there are lots of guides to install the Google Play Edition firmware or you can go with an AOSP based rom. I personally prefer Android Revolution (ARHD) which recently updated to include support for Verizon. It is Sense based, but I came from a Nexus device and have come to really enjoy the HTC Sense software.
Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get OTA updates after installing a rom without some manual intervening. However, most rom developers are quick when a major release comes out to include it in their software so you are likely to only wait a few days extra.