Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,165 Members 37,647 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Camera Performance

Tip us?

mlin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1011
Default [Q] Camera Performance

Hey, M8 owners. I'm a note 3 owner looking at the M8. I came from the M7 but sold it mostly due to the camera performance and lack of expandable storage. The latter has been addressed and from I've read the camera has improved as well. However, I wanted to get the opinions of actual owners about the quality of photos taken with the M8. I'm especially interested in hearing opinions from those that frequently photograph their kids. So, please chime in with your experience.
TIA!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
2.5 New Members: Treat new members the way you would have liked to have been treated when you were a new member.
Provide the new members with guidance, advice and instruction always with respect and courtesy.

Device: HTC One M8

logie
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post
Hey, M8 owners. I'm a note 3 owner looking at the M8. I came from the M7 but sold it mostly due to the camera performance and lack of expandable storage. The latter has been addressed and from I've read the camera has improved as well. However, I wanted to get the opinions of actual owners about the quality of photos taken with the M8. I'm especially interested in hearing opinions from those that frequently photograph their kids. So, please chime in with your experience.
TIA!

I came from the Note 3 and really the only thing that I miss is the camera. While the M8 camera has some cool gimmicks, the note 3 really took great photos. That said, the build quality and everything else about the phone I love - even with a smaller screen. I haven't looked back and the camera is sufficient enough for everyday use.

hope this helps.
HTC One M8 Verizon | ROM: Viper Newest | Recovery: TWRP
The Following User Says Thank You to logie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mlin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by logie View Post
I came from the Note 3 and really the only thing that I miss is the camera. While the M8 camera has some cool gimmicks, the note 3 really took great photos. That said, the build quality and everything else about the phone I love - even with a smaller screen. I haven't looked back and the camera is sufficient enough for everyday use.

hope this helps.
Thanks for the response. It's a little discouraging, but I think I'll hit up a Verizon store with my daughter tomorrow and do some thorough testing of the camera. It sounds like some of the auto settings are less than ideal but that a few manual adjustments can really improve performance.

2.5 New Members: Treat new members the way you would have liked to have been treated when you were a new member.
Provide the new members with guidance, advice and instruction always with respect and courtesy.

justin94
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Taken in mid air. Did I spam the shutter button.... Yes. Got some blurry ones too. But for kids and everyday photography, its excellent

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to justin94 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stedrocklp
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I own both devices and have to say that the Note 3 takes better pictures as far as I am concerned. What I will say is that I have a main line and a business line and the M8 is the phone I choose to be on the main line. Here is an example of pictures from both:

N3:

M8:

Sorry for the High-res I wanted to show the pics unchanged.
The Following User Says Thank You to stedrocklp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mlin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin94 View Post
Taken in mid air. Did I spam the shutter button.... Yes. Got some blurry ones too. But for kids and everyday photography, its excellent

Did you mean to attach an image?

justin94
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post
Did you mean to attach an image?

Whoops. Sorry about that

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1399860384330.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	2738905  

mlin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin94 View Post
Whoops. Sorry about that

Cool, thanks. Looks good. I played with the M8 today. My daughter wasn't up to going to Verizon with me, but I think I got a good feel for the camera. Shutter speeds are fast and shot to shot tines were impressive. By no means am I a highly skilled photographer, I just want to be able to capture decent shots of my kids. I think I'll try to pick one up and give it a go. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

wtoj34
Old
(Last edited by wtoj34; 12th May 2014 at 04:55 AM.)
Thanks Meter 147

Here's two I took over the weekend. If someone wouldn't mind sharing their manual settings I would appreciate that. I just used HDR. These images on my desktop PC background are blurry and pixelated but look good enough for mobile viewing.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1399866704241.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	2739019   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1399866719305.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	2739020  
If I help any one any where at any time, please let me know by clicking thanks!
Current devices: HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom Former devices: Droid X2, Droid Charge, Note 2,

DroidRootz
Old
Thanks Meter 5
has anyone compared the Google camera to the stock camera

can the Google camera access the same functions ?