Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,151 Members 49,436 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A little help with my moto g

Tip us?

r1punjay
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default A little help with my moto g

I have had my moto g for a while now and I am quite tempted to root it. But then having an unlocked bootloader would not allow me to receive any Ota updates if I am not wrong. Is there any way to receive updates with an unlocked bootloader because once I unlock my bootloader, I am not going to relock it again..

padhu1989
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1punjay View Post
I have had my moto g for a while now and I am quite tempted to root it. But then having an unlocked bootloader would not allow me to receive any Ota updates if I am not wrong. Is there any way to receive updates with an unlocked bootloader because once I unlock my bootloader, I am not going to relock it again..
You will get OTA updates in rooted phone and you can Install it if you have stock recovery... You can't install OTA update If you have custom recovery like cwm or twrp...

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to padhu1989 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

r1punjay
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by padhu1989 View Post
You will get OTA updates in rooted phone and you can Install it if you have stock recovery... You can't install OTA update If you have custom recovery like cwm or twrp...

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
So that means before updating I need to revert back to the stock recovery before updating.Also can I download the entire Asian stock firmware and then flash only the recovery using adb?Thanks for your help.

padhu1989
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
So that means before updating I need to revert back to the stock recovery before updating.Also can I download the entire Asian stock firmware and then flash only the recovery using adb?Thanks for your help.
Flashing recvery wont work, you need t go back to full stock rom , update it, and do flash custom recoery and root it.. I tried long back flashing stock recovery and update, but that didnt work for me...
The Following User Says Thank You to padhu1989 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

r1punjay
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by padhu1989 View Post
Flashing recvery wont work, you need t go back to full stock rom , update it, and do flash custom recoery and root it.. I tried long back flashing stock recovery and update, but that didnt work for me...
Thanks..
Also is there any possibility to keep a backup of all apps along with data included before unlocking bootloader and rooting?

padhu1989
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Thanks..
Also is there any possibility to keep a backup of all apps along with data included before unlocking bootloader and rooting?
Use Go Backup Pro.. or any good backup app in play store..