Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,111 Members 47,499 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S5 is the best smartphone ever!

Tip us?
 
cyanprinter
Old
#11  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 37
Join Date: Aug 2006

 
DONATE TO ME
I'm actually selling mine after owning for only 3 days (rooted, SIM unlocked, and bootloader switched to TWRP).

Why? On alliancerom, I have had to do so much work to get it close to the CM experience I had on the S2, S3, and S4. Nothing can come close For example, I need a fast camera...and although the stock rom camera is fast, in the custom roms I tried, the camera in my experience was slow (tried 4 different cameras).

The S4 is actually quite respectable compared to the S5, especially if running CM or other rom.

Don't get me wrong about TouchWiz, on my Note 10.1 2014, I updated to latest KitKat update, which is Touchwiz, however in phone implementation, there just isn't enough customization. Yes I tried GravityBox, Xposed, and the lot, but it just wasn't the same.

Maybe I'll be back for the S5 Prime if it comes out...but my next might end up being the Asus PadFone X...we will see!
Current :
P600, G900T

Retired:
i337, i747, i777, Thinkpad Tablet, AT&T 8125, 8525, Samsung i780
HTC HD2 - OS 5.2.21892 Manila 2.5.2012142.2 ROM 2.13.531.1 WWE (4/28/10) Radio 2.10.50.26
Samsung i907 Epix - WM6.1 Pro, Samsung Propel - stock,Treo 600 TMO
 
devoidx
Old
#12  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 124
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanprinter View Post
I'm actually selling mine after owning for only 3 days (rooted, SIM unlocked, and bootloader switched to TWRP).

Why? On alliancerom, I have had to do so much work to get it close to the CM experience I had on the S2, S3, and S4. Nothing can come close For example, I need a fast camera...and although the stock rom camera is fast, in the custom roms I tried, the camera in my experience was slow (tried 4 different cameras).

The S4 is actually quite respectable compared to the S5, especially if running CM or other rom.

Don't get me wrong about TouchWiz, on my Note 10.1 2014, I updated to latest KitKat update, which is Touchwiz, however in phone implementation, there just isn't enough customization. Yes I tried GravityBox, Xposed, and the lot, but it just wasn't the same.

Maybe I'll be back for the S5 Prime if it comes out...but my next might end up being the Asus PadFone X...we will see!
phone's been out for only a couple weeks...obviously all the major ROMs are yet to be released..not sure how you made your decision on a phone based on some preliminary ROMS
The Following User Says Thank You to devoidx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
daxecutioner24
Old
#13  
daxecutioner24's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 110
Posts: 873
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by devoidx View Post
phone's been out for only a couple weeks...obviously all the major ROMs are yet to be released..not sure how you made your decision on a phone based on some preliminary ROMS
Issue being people are basing their previous androids experience on how quick roms came etcc.. Times have changed, there's more security added which we all know by know. Year by year manufacturers and carriers will make it harder to root

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app
 
hypersonicx
Old
#14  
hypersonicx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 591
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nashville
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxecutioner24 View Post
Issue being people are basing their previous androids experience on how quick roms came etcc.. Times have changed, there's more security added which we all know by know. Year by year manufacturers and carriers will make it harder to root

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app
Im going to have to say that Samsung is the reason behind the bad and slow complicated development on the Galaxy S devices. If you take a loot at the HTC One development threads there plenty going on over there. Everything from plenty of custom roms to GPE roms to CM.

I just traded my HTC One M8 today for the Galaxy S5 due to me being disappointed in the camera on the HTC One M8.

Performance wise, I get hicups and lag every now and then when swping home screens and backing out of apps ecetra. With me having 2 kids and I take pictures allot so switching to the S5 was a plus on my end.

After being on S4 - M7 - Note 2 and Note 3, the S5 seems to have more lag then other devices.

If you want a "Smooth" "Lag Free" android experience then I recommend the HTC One M8. That phone had almost 0 lag at all. Samsung Touchwiz seems to always lag down for some reason.
-=((R-L-D))=-
 
Sparatan117
Old
(Last edited by Sparatan117; 13th May 2014 at 09:15 AM.) Reason: Additional Info
#15  
Sparatan117's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 153
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo2211 View Post
To see Lag on note 3 & S4:

1. Open Phone app:
2. Press the top right contacts buttons
3. Press the top left keypad button
4. swtich back and fourth. you will see the lag.

Compare the same on a GS5. Smooth as butter.
The Phone app on the S4 & the contacts app are two separate apps. The Contact button is a hyperlink between the two. If you'll notice, the buttons change at the top also, except for the one which brings back the actual phone keypad. If you go looking through the complete app list in something like TiBu, you'll find both of them. One is like Phone.apk and the other is Dialer.apk or something.

On the S5, the two are one and the same. This way the S5 doesn't have to call a new app into memory just to access the contacts.


That all being aside, I have to say that this version of TW is probably the best looking TW I have ever seen. I love the flat color and the simple flat UI design. Apple started it, but Samsung definitely outdid themselves this time around. I think the only thing I'll be doing this go-round is rooting the phone.. although T-Mobile doesn't like giving out OTAs to rooted devices... might need a way around that in the future. Everything else is great.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Calc+ is a Smart and Beautiful Android Calculator

As we’ve said inthe past, there are quite a few calculators available on Android. … more

Get Better Debug Data with Crash Report SDK

Developing an application is a hard and often times ungratifying task. It also requires quite a … more

Navigate to Your Favorite Places with LocationDetector

If you’re enjoying an active way of life, you probablytravel a lot, go fishing, … more

LifeStats Automatic Journal Keeps Tabs of Your Day

Most of us live very active lives. This is after all why we’re fans of mobile … more