Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,083 Members 50,220 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will Nexus 7 get kernel 3.10?

Tip us?

SkOrPn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 452

DONATE TO ME
Default Will Nexus 7 get kernel 3.10?

And if so, how much longer do you think? Have you seen any hints or rumors plastered on the net? Do you have any links to evidence of 3.10 coming? Are we missing out on anything of importance that 3.10 brings?

Does anyone know why we are still on 3.1, which was released in 2011? I thought Nexus devices got all the good stuff first... Or are only custom roms and kernels using 3.1?

unBricked 6 times via "The SkOrPn JIG"
"The SkOrPn Motorola & Kindle Fire Factory Cable"

High Quality is never an accident.
It is always the result of excellent intention, intelligent direction, sincere effort and skillful execution.
It represents the wisest choice of many alternatives! ~ William A. Foster ~ Edited by ME!

hencke
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Android devices rarely get new kernel versions anyway since the kernels tend to be customized to work with a specific device, and the binary drivers are built for a specific version of the kernel. This is not as bad as it sounds tho, since a lot of stuff can be backported meaning you get functionality from a newer kernel without the actual kernel version changing. Even more common with custom kernels. For example there's ROMs for our device that uses the F2FS file system which first appeared in the 3.8 kernel and gotten big changes every version after that, and it runs just fine backported to the 3.1 kernel.

SkOrPn
Old
(Last edited by SkOrPn; 13th May 2014 at 06:47 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 452

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hencke View Post
Android devices rarely get new kernel versions anyway since the kernels tend to be customized to work with a specific device, and the binary drivers are built for a specific version of the kernel. This is not as bad as it sounds tho, since a lot of stuff can be backported meaning you get functionality from a newer kernel without the actual kernel version changing. Even more common with custom kernels. For example there's ROMs for our device that uses the F2FS file system which first appeared in the 3.8 kernel and gotten big changes every version after that, and it runs just fine backported to the 3.1 kernel.
Ok, so this quote here from Linux.com about commits that look like they are made for Nexus 7 2012, is just wishful thinking? I hope not because 3.10 is a massive jump in technology, and possibly even in performance for our device.

Quote:
there are architecture-specific commits for 3.10 in the kernel/tegra project, which points to development for the 2012 Nexus 7.
http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-m...0-linux-kernel

EDIT: Ok, I see now, so many new things from 3.4 and 3.8 may already be in our 3.1 custom kernels? If Google releases a 3.10 for the N7 I hope our devs take advantage of it, instead of porting things over to 3.1. I'd like to see our device get Android 5.0 and kernel 3.10, that would really make me feel like this was one of the best investments I have ever made.

It is always the result of excellent intention, intelligent direction, sincere effort and skillful execution.
It represents the wisest choice of many alternatives! ~ William A. Foster ~ Edited by ME!

hencke
Old
Thanks Meter 4
As I said, lots of the improvements from newer kernels have already been backported so there wouldn't be as big a difference in performance as you might think. The tegra commits are interesting, but sadly does not confirm anything. For example, the android police article on those same commits mentions that screenshots from the nexus 4 and 5 with the new android version still show them on kernel 3.4. The chance that the 2012 nexus 7 would get a kernel update while the nexus 5 seems awefully slim. I hope I'm wrong tho, since I think it would make things simpler for the custom kernel developers to base stuff on a newer kernel but I wouldn't get my hopes up...
The Following User Says Thank You to hencke For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SkOrPn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 452

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hencke View Post
As I said, lots of the improvements from newer kernels have already been backported so there wouldn't be as big a difference in performance as you might think. The tegra commits are interesting, but sadly does not confirm anything. For example, the android police article on those same commits mentions that screenshots from the nexus 4 and 5 with the new android version still show them on kernel 3.4. The chance that the 2012 nexus 7 would get a kernel update while the nexus 5 seems awefully slim. I hope I'm wrong tho, since I think it would make things simpler for the custom kernel developers to base stuff on a newer kernel but I wouldn't get my hopes up...
Ok, thanks for making it a little more clearer to me. I kept thinking our 3.1 kernel from 2011 was holding us back from getting one last great update. I think features are no longer needed and I just want them to push performance as far as this thing can be taken. So with ART and F2FS finally coming, I was hoping a better kernel would grace us as well. lol, but it looks like a newer kernel wouldn't do much that the devs haven't already done.

Thanks buddy for jumping in and clearing some of that up for me.

Monfro
Old
Thanks Meter 873
Nvidia released their kernel 3.4.35 for tegra3
HTC One
Nexus 7
Samsung Captivate