No registration required

[Q] Frustrated on which files I need to upgrade

OP djames1413

13th May 2014, 08:50 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
More
I started rooting last year so I don't have much experience. I want to upgrade to Kit-Kat but I am afraid of losing root. I use root mainly to access my hotspot because I travel a lot for work and the hotel wifi's are usually horrible. I looked through the development forum and honestly tried to follow instructions, but as I opened links I found more links to 8 or 10 other links depending on what versions of software. There are a lot of warnings to ensure you download the right one or else you will brick your phone.

At this point my eyes are burning and I am so frustrated about what to do. Please help me!! I just need to pointed to which specific file I need to run Kit-Kat rooted so I can access my hot spot. Thank you sooo much for reading my post.

The last thing I did was the delavega root.

Here is what I have

phone model
SCH-1545

VERIZON

DEVICE TYPE
jfltevzw

FIRMWARE INFO

BOOTLOADER VERSION
l545VRUEMK2

BASEBAND VERSION
1545VRUEMK2

PDA VERSION
l545VRUEMK2 / l545VRUEMKRa

CSC VERSION
l545VRUEMK2

OS INFO

CHANGELIST

BUILD NUMBER
JSS15J.l545VRUEMK2

ANDROID VERSION

BUILD DISCRIPTION
jfltevzw-user 403 JSS15J l545VRUEMK2 release-keys

HARDWARE REVISION
l545.06
13th May 2014, 10:58 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 39

163 posts
You can't get much clearer than surge's instructions at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2726868.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aznjosh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th May 2014, 01:33 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,265

4,285 posts
Donate to Me
More
Realistically if root is important to people you may as well just stay on mk2. There really isn't some huge improvement going to Kit Kat. Yea you have some UI changes but those wear off rather quick and with all the problems I've seen people having, just not worth it. Not everyone is as comfortable using Odin as others and no Surges instructions are not that hard to follow, there's multiple files and steps [emoji15][emoji15]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th May 2014, 02:12 PM   |  #4  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 834

2,451 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

Realistically if root is important to people you may as well just stay on mk2. There really isn't some huge improvement going to Kit Kat. Yea you have some UI changes but those wear off rather quick and with all the problems I've seen people having, just not worth it. Not everyone is as comfortable using Odin as others and no Surges instructions are not that hard to follow, there's multiple files and steps [emoji15][emoji15]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Im looking at this the same way, I see no overriding reason to go to 4.4, until there are several SS compatible roms available and hashcode puts out a 3.72 SS for Verizon phone, I'm staying put
The Following User Says Thank You to decaturbob For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread