Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,055 Members 47,063 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Maxx vs Moto X.

Tip us?

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,571
Chances are that either phone you get, it might be on 4.4.2 already. So if the boot loaders can't be unlocked, you won't have root for now. And if they are 4.2.2 or 4.4, you might be able to root.

Its gonna be luck of the draw.

I'd take the maxx for sure personally. Its the same phone, with a bigger screen and battery. Win win.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aviwdoowks
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongillion63 View Post
After some research?
This update.zip is a moto signed ota!
How can you jump from it to a fake signed user created one?
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

akellar
Old
Thanks Meter 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks View Post
This update.zip is a moto signed ota!
How can you jump from it to a fake signed user created one?
You can't, this is a classic example of someone stating what works for another device and assuming it works for every device.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Free mobile app
Please note, I do not do ROM support via PM. If you have a question, ask in the device thread. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to akellar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aviwdoowks
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
Chances are that either phone you get, it might be on 4.4.2 already. So if the boot loaders can't be unlocked, you won't have root for now. And if they are 4.2.2 or 4.4, you might be able to root.

Its gonna be luck of the draw.

I'd take the maxx for sure personally. Its the same phone, with a bigger screen and battery. Win win.
But Vzw has to mess with 4.4 & they may mess with 4.4.2 as well.
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,571
Quote:
But Vzw has to mess with 4.4 & they may mess with 4.4.2 as well.
You can roll the dice and hope for an X that isn't on 4.4.2.....or get the better phone.

You may end up with root on either or no root....I'd go for the phone I prefer.

Root is not essential on either.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

CrazyRussianXDA
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongillion63 View Post
RAZR Maxx has definitely got its niche: battery. You can also root the Maxx, I have no idea what the other guy is talking about, Google it there are tons of root methods (PC, one-click etc)
There might be tons of root method available for RAZR Maxx, but this is a forum for Droid MAXX - not RAZR - and unless you are on 4.2.2 there is no root method available for the MAXX

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by akellar View Post
You can't, this is a classic example of someone stating what works for another device and assuming it works for every device.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Free mobile app
Yup

tuzky
Old
Thanks Meter 1
battery is more important

doogald
Old
Thanks Meter 313
Quote:
Moto has offered a warranty replacement of a Maxx for my X. I know the boot sound will bother me a lot. But I thought I would ask If others may have made the same swap. I do wear an xl glove so the size increase is OK.
If you are about timely updates to Android, I'd stick with the X. Otherwise, the Maxx is a great phone, especially the battery life. It'll be hard to tell the difference between the X and the Maxx from a usability point of view.

The Droid sounds are so amazingly annoying, though it's good that you don't have to restart the phone all that often. It's pretty stable.

As others have said, if root is important to you, it'll probably not happen with the Maxx unless you're lucky to get it with 4.2.2 still installed. I don't care about root myself (in fact, I really don't want the phone rooted.)

Quote:
Are slip-proof rubber cases & screen protectors hard to get?
Sure. If you like Zagg-style, Zagg and Skinomi make them, and Verizon sells the non-wet apply versions. I think that there are enough TPU cases that you should find something.

The Following User Says Thank You to doogald For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]