Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,556 Members 44,900 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Boombass - Never Mind the B*ll*cks!

Tip us?

grentuu
Old
(Last edited by grentuu; 13th May 2014 at 12:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 149
Default HTC Boombass - Never Mind the B*ll*cks!

First, this was a massive step for me. I am a Google Play Edition addict. I just wanted to test the HTC Boombass which arrived today as part of my purchase deal so flashed I back to Sense.

Remember that music listening is completely subjective so what I like you may not. However I am an audiophile. I only listen to FLAC and my home hi-fi is off the scale. I also tend to be quite harsh when reviewing H-fi kit.

I am not going to discuss the cosmetics apart from saying it is a small black and red box about 2" square. The bottom slides out to create a lip for the phone to rest on. The Boombass has a micro USB socket for charging and a small button on the back to enable Bluetooth/Sync. Press it once and you will hear the BT 'enable' sound.

One point to note. The viewing angle without a case on isn't bad. With a case, although the difference is minimal, it is still secure but it is hardly a viewing angle... unless you watch movies almost horizontally! Cosmetics over.

The Sound
First let me say. You haven't paid /$500 for this. So if you are expecting to be absolutely blown away... leave this alone.

However...

Playlist

Queen's 'Too much love'

Without Boombass. As to be expected the phone was clear and you will all know the sound. As phones go, it doesn't get much better.

With Boombass. I was astonished! It adds a level of bass that is amazing for such a small device. There was no 'thud' or corruption.

Phil Collins 'In the air tonight'.

Without Boombass. Clear lyrics and highs, decent drums but lacking that bass depth

With Boombass.Wow again! Especially for the drum solo. No more to be said.

Pink 'Just like a pill'

Without Boombass. By now I was losing interest in the phone without the box. What had previously sounded 'full' for a phone was now sounding shrill and devoid of character.

With Boombass. Her voice sounded much more like the albums I played on the home hi-fi. There were parts that sounded a tiny bit 'thuddy' but I forgave them due to the fullness of the sound.

Pink Floyd 'Money'

Without Boombass. Still good, but I want more BASS!

With Boombass. OK you can guess where this is going....

Overall.
There are better devices out there without a doubt. But not for the same price. Nothing in the market comes close. However it does have limitations.

It has a limited compatibility set (applicable in this forum...HTC One M8. BUT NOT GPE)
If you are willing to pay more you can get better, but probably double at least to notice any substantial improvement.

Overall I give it 4 stars.

To get 5?

* Compatibility with GPE - after all HTC - you make the device... WTH?
* The phone has a case - consider the viewing angle 'including case'
* Phone charging??? (While on the speaker)

For a bedroom / student this is ideal if you don't have the funds to buy that Mission/NAD outfit you were after. And for anyone else that wants a better sound on a budget (me included!)

My view - as an exacting audiophile? For 50, you won't get better.

For more (see double) you might.

The bottom line?

It is enough for me to stay with Sense until HTC fix GPE compatibility

I UPGRADED TO A 5GHZ CABLE HUB FOR THIS???

IF I DON'T HELP YOU, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A TOSS. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.
IF I DO, PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grentuu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crustyeye
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Are you serious. I'm no audiophile but to my untrained ear it's lame, bass is muffled and weak. Even my wife thought it was pathetic.

Would not waste 50 on it at all, sold mine on eBay.

Ant of these would be better. Or just use it without.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

grentuu
Old
(Last edited by grentuu; 13th May 2014 at 06:36 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by crustyeye View Post
Are you serious. I'm no audiophile but to my untrained ear it's lame, bass is muffled and weak. Even my wife thought it was pathetic.

Would not waste 50 on it at all, sold mine on eBay.

Ant of these would be better. Or just use it without.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I am playing 16/24 bit flac which sounds great on the phone. The level of detail these files provide over the bog standard 192 mp3 is the same difference as light and day. Most people use the standard mp3 for file size. The issue is that a standard mp3 is about 3-5mb whereas a high bit single flac track can be 35-40mb plus. Albums can range from 400mb to over a Gb which is why people don't use them

I tried a standard mp3 after reading your response and it produced a muffled thud sound like the old style boombox.

But I did state in the post that I use flac.

I promise you the difference is good.

But hey like I said - 'subjective'.

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”
― Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

I UPGRADED TO A 5GHZ CABLE HUB FOR THIS???

IF I DON'T HELP YOU, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A TOSS. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.
IF I DO, PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON.
The Following User Says Thank You to grentuu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]