Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] New HTC One -- Where to start?

OP cpurick

6th May 2014, 06:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
236 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Browsed the stickies for this stuff, but the closest I found was a pretty old post from before Verizon shut down S-Off.

I have a new HTC One w/ build 1.10.605.8 (Android 4.2.2/Sense 5.0). How far behind is this? Does it mean I have a better chance for exploits to work? I'm making a point of not putting the phone into a position where it might take an OTA. Presumably hacking the phone gets harder with the latest builds.

I would like to root this, if possible. If I can unlock the bootloader that's even better. S-Off not as important, but I'll do it if it's the pathway to an unlocked boot. I'm guessing there are still ways to unlock this (or equivalent) since Big Red shut down our HTC Dev?

Is there a current thread discussing this? Maybe somebody can show me where the latest info is. Or at least tell me what the general strategy is for customizing this device, if it's possible.

I'm pretty comfortable with this stuff; I once had to use a wire to S-Off an HTC Rezound. I just need to know where to go to find the current tools.

I saw references to weaksauce, rumrunner and firewater. Are these current? Can someone steer me toward the latest and greatest???
Last edited by cpurick; 6th May 2014 at 06:50 PM.
6th May 2014, 08:40 PM   |  #2  
brholt6's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Olathe
Thanks Meter: 190
 
676 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpurick

Browsed the stickies for this stuff, but the closest I found was a pretty old post from before Verizon shut down S-Off.

I have a new HTC One w/ build 1.10.605.8 (Android 4.2.2/Sense 5.0). How far behind is this? Does it mean I have a better chance for exploits to work? I'm making a point of not putting the phone into a position where it might take an OTA. Presumably hacking the phone gets harder with the latest builds.

I would like to root this, if possible. If I can unlock the bootloader that's even better. S-Off not as important, but I'll do it if it's the pathway to an unlocked boot. I'm guessing there are still ways to unlock this (or equivalent) since Big Red shut down our HTC Dev?

Is there a current thread discussing this? Maybe somebody can show me where the latest info is. Or at least tell me what the general strategy is for customizing this device, if it's possible.

I'm pretty comfortable with this stuff; I once had to use a wire to S-Off an HTC Rezound. I just need to know where to go to find the current tools.

I saw references to weaksauce, rumrunner and firewater. Are these current? Can someone steer me toward the latest and greatest???

Since you're on 4.2.2 and 5.0 you should be able to use rumrunner.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2473644

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
6th May 2014, 09:28 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
236 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by brholt6

Since you're on 4.2.2 and 5.0 you should be able to use rumrunner.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2473644

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Thank you very much.

Looks like this tool sets S-Off? Does that disable/bypass the signature checks in the bootloader, or does it allow install of an alternate bootloader? How do I get from S-Off to a custom ROM?
6th May 2014, 09:55 PM   |  #4  
brholt6's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Olathe
Thanks Meter: 190
 
676 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpurick

Thank you very much.

Looks like this tool sets S-Off? Does that disable/bypass the signature checks in the bootloader, or does it allow install of an alternate bootloader? How do I get from S-Off to a custom ROM?

Not sure exactly, but once you're s-off you can just flash a recovery via fastboot and then flash a custom Rom through recovery.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
6th May 2014, 10:46 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
236 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by brholt6

Not sure exactly, but once you're s-off you can just flash a recovery via fastboot and then flash a custom Rom through recovery.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

And I can do that even though I can't technically unlock the bootloader?
7th May 2014, 02:25 AM   |  #6  
brholt6's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Olathe
Thanks Meter: 190
 
676 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpurick

And I can do that even though I can't technically unlock the bootloader?

It will unlock your boot loader.

http://rumrunner.us

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
11th May 2014, 04:58 AM   |  #7  
brholt6's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Olathe
Thanks Meter: 190
 
676 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpurick

And I can do that even though I can't technically unlock the bootloader?

Any luck? In case anyone else has the same question in the future.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
13th May 2014, 06:26 AM   |  #8  
GrayBoltWolf's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Raleigh, NC
Thanks Meter: 2,169
 
5,073 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpurick

And I can do that even though I can't technically unlock the bootloader?

S-Off trumps all. With S-Off you can do anything with your phone, including unlocking the boot loader and custom recoveries.
13th May 2014, 06:01 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
236 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
I used rumrunner because my older build was identified as being vulnerable to that exploit. I'm not sure about the interactions between S-Off and Bootloader because the device+build-specific rumrunner did both S-Off and unlocked BL in addition to rooting it. It says "unlock" but the experience looked like an engineering bootloader had been installed. The phone acquired a proprietary HTC disclaimer at startup.

If you have an early enough build, I would definitely recommend rumrunner for unlocking it. That program totally pwned the phone.
13th May 2014, 07:42 PM   |  #10  
GrayBoltWolf's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Raleigh, NC
Thanks Meter: 2,169
 
5,073 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpurick

I used rumrunner because my older build was identified as being vulnerable to that exploit. I'm not sure about the interactions between S-Off and Bootloader because the device+build-specific rumrunner did both S-Off and unlocked BL in addition to rooting it. It says "unlock" but the experience looked like an engineering bootloader had been installed. The phone acquired a proprietary HTC disclaimer at startup.

If you have an early enough build, I would definitely recommend rumrunner for unlocking it. That program totally pwned the phone.

The warning comes when you go S-Off. Every HTC One with S-Off does that. Rumrunner did its job.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes