No registration required

Xbmc android dongle

OP woodsonmh

13th May 2014, 09:58 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 15

101 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemRoyd

Yes, it is running 4.something...I retired the TV and Bravia stick for a week or so while I finish off the room I'm putting it in, so I can't say the exact version. It also updated to Android 4.2.2. Without a doubt, the Smart Stick doesn't compare to the Fire TV in terms of hardware and video capabilities, however it is surprisingly usable out of the box, i.e. it did not require me sifting through a 160 page thread on XBMC forums or this entire sub-forum on XDA to get things to where it didn't require a large amount of acrobatic routines to enjoy an evening of media. Another interesting feature is that I am strictly running OTA signal through a Homeworx PVR-150 and was able to enable it through the Google TV Prime Time app such that I could utilize its guide feature and enjoy live TV right from within the Google TV environment. Pretty slick.

There are a number of devices out there, each with its on redeeming features but still no ideal one-box solution. I think Sony made a decent attempt with this particular device, however it is limited to only Sony televisions and at a retail price of around $149, it is certainly bested performance-wise by the FTV and other devices. All I can say is that if you have a compatible Bravia TV and can get one of these sticks for a song, I highly recommend it for casual use. I'm going to run mine until root opens up more possibilities on the FTV.

If they updated their NSZ-GS7 & 8 to google TV version 4.x then i think it would be killer combo. The key is being able to sideload apps which is currently not supported since GTV 3.x is so different from android as it exists on phones and tablets. Plus, GTV 4.x also came with the release of the development kit to the general public so anyone can screw with it.
13th May 2014, 11:25 PM   |  #12  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 273

638 posts
I just ran quadrant on firetv with a score of 10936. This is a very respectable score. My asus infinity scores around 6200, rooted. This is about a 1500 over stock. My galaxy note 10.1 2014 scores about 20000.
Given what firetv is set up to or better yet not to do this score outdoes many if not most tablets other than the very best.
I'll test my dongle but I pretty sure it won't even be close. Don't know how to test roku or Chromecast.

Woody
Dongle wouldn't play quadrant for some reason.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Last edited by woodsonmh; 14th May 2014 at 02:14 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread