Question [Q] Stock Email App & Mavericks Mail SErver

I am attempting to log into a Mavericks Mail server (clean install, running Dovecot 2.2.5) using the stock Email app on my Verizon Galaxy S5 (version 4.4.2.0400).

I punch in all my info (host, username, password, etc) and the app tells me 'Authentication Failed' for info I am sure is right. I've triple checked the login information and I also have K9 Mail installed and that connects just fine (though it doesn't sync well and doesn't respect read flags well).

I checked the mail logs on the Mavericks server and on my attempted connection:

Quote:
May 13 17:14:37 imap-login: Info: ID sent: name=com.android.email, os=android, os-version=4.4.2; KOT49H, vendor=samsung, x-android-device-model=SM-G900V, x-android-mobile-net-operator=Verizon Wireless, AGUID=u1XvHJEEnCugmRKnZZU4ScZLSuY=: user=<>, rip=192.168.5.144, lip=192.168.0.80, TLS
May 13 17:14:39 imap-login: Info: Disconnected (auth process communication failure): user=<>, method=DIGEST-MD5, rip=192.168.5.144, lip=192.168.0.80, TLS: Disconnected
Specifically the part that says user=<> sticks out to me. All other log lines have the username in there for the transaction. It's almost as if the stock Android Email app isn't sending the username. I've tried my correct username, my entire email address, and jibberish. No matter what, the mail log file says no username was submitted.

Any ideas?

As far as 'official' support, I'm not quite sure if I should start with Samsung, Google, or Verizon... I feel like Google would be the ones who could truly troubleshoot this app issue, but they could always blame Samsung or Verizon for their customizations... yay fragmentation!