Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,935 Members 52,658 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Network Media Player

Tip us?

Montisaquadeis
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Try using es file explorer to browse to the share and ND for playback?

MadFlava
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montisaquadeis View Post
Try using es file explorer to browse to the share and ND for playback?
I had issues with ES working with the Amazon remote. Are you using an external keyboard/mouse to control it?

Montisaquadeis
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Personally I do not have a Fire TV. Just trying to help out is all.

A keyboard and mouse should work fine. Even an air mouse should be ok as well if you want to go that route.

mkhopper
Old
(Last edited by mkhopper; 14th May 2014 at 03:56 AM.) Reason: clarifying some points
Thanks Meter 11
I'm really surprised that Qloud Media doesn't get more attention. You install it as a server on either Windows or Mac, point it at your media and that's it.

Run the client on Android, iOS or Windows devices, plug in the server PIN and you're off. Done and done.
The video is transcoded on the fly, so streaming over the internet results in a lower-quality image at times, but it's certainly watchable.

The GUI isn't fancy, but quite functional. The server end has almost no bells and whistles. You could think of it as Plex-ultra-lite, so there's no overhead processing going on. The server exists only to serve media and that's all. No indexing of your collection, no downloading cover images, etc. It just streams media from whatever source you choose and I haven't had any problems streaming anything in my collection, even .mkv files encoded with AC3 audio that the Chromecast won't touch.

I just loaded the client up to my new FTV last night and again, it works perfectly.
The only minor drawback is that the aspect ratio is a bit weird when viewed on the FTV. It's not perfectly 16:9 but more like 15:9, so the image is a bit squished in from the sides. You don't really notice it after a few minutes though.